PDA

View Full Version : Kneeboard Help

sidetracked3
07-12-2010, 10:37 AM
I have a 6 year old and want to get him a kneeboard. I want to know what kind of setup I should buy for him. I would like one that he could start on where it pulls the board for him and then he could progress and hold the handle on his own. Can someone give me some ideas of where or what to look for? TIA

87SunSportMikeyD
07-12-2010, 11:21 AM
well the first thing that pops into my mind is that I have not seen many kids kneeboards.. Most adult size have too long of a velcro strap, so you end up tucking it away, then when you fall the strap does not release and you are stuck to the kneeboard, upside down, flailing your arms to keep your head out of the water. There's gotta be a way around that by now though heheh

I will ask my friend Chad who runs kneeboard world. :) http://www.kneeboardworld.com/

Loadup
07-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Mikey speaks the truth about the strap. I have been caught in that situation at 42 and it is no fun. When my son was 6 I had him just ride on the strap or have it loose, at that age I just wanted him to get use to getting on the board and such and now at 11 he is doing well for himself.

jet
07-12-2010, 02:42 PM
they still make those?? lol

Loadup
07-12-2010, 03:19 PM
The yellow one I am on is an 80's model hydroslide I learned on and still got it.

Fman
07-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Any kneeboard will work fine for kids. We have two, the Hydroslide Razor has the pop-out retractable fins and the other is the Hydroslide Revolution without the pop out fins. I have had many kids on them at 5+ years old with no problems. Most of the kids prefer the Revolution without the pop out fins, its more of a "beginner" board. Nice feature about the newer style boards is the handle holder built in to the board. The kids can scootch up on the board without having to hold onto the handle which makes it easy to learn.

Just go slow at first 6-7 MPH, until they are up and strapped in and are holding onto the rope, then I usually bump it up to about 14-16 MPH for kids.

I saw the Hydroslide Revolution today at Costco for $99 which is a good price for this board.

techsledder
07-12-2010, 06:18 PM
The yellow one I am on is an 80's model hydroslide I learned on and still got it.

I'm pretty sure we have the same board, Loadup. I could never get that damn thing to stop from porpoising. It was annoying.

timski
07-12-2010, 10:32 PM
I have been riding kneeboards for 30 years now. Also, here are some of my credentials, a certified USA Waterski Instructor, former Mens 3 national kneeboard champion and trian my sons to win 3 junior national boys championships, so I would think I know a little about kneeboards. Ok, enough of that. Any kneeboard is good for kids, just have to pull them slow. You should never pull someone under 12 years old over 17 mph, because they weigh so little. Next, remove the strap at first when just learning. It becomes to much a hassle for beginners,including kids and adults, and if they fall with the strap securely attach to them they usally panic when they flip upside down in the water. I usally leave the strap off until they can cross the wake slowly from side to side and do a surface 180 turn, then I put the strap back on the board. Also, do not accellerate past 14 mph until the person is kneeling and has slid up with there knees to the front of the pad or the board will start porposing and the rider will go out of control. Now these helpful hints are for beginners. Once you can ride and do surface 360's and other tricks, then increase the boat speed for adults around 18mph to 22mph. If there is anything else you want to know about kneeboarding just write and I will try to answer it to the best of my ability. By the way, I do know Chad personally from kneeboardworld.com, and consider him a great friend and person. Take care and be safe on the water.:(

Okie Boarder
07-13-2010, 12:36 PM
We used to have the Hydroslide...I think it was the razor. Retractable fins, retractable tow hook to start with and adjustable velcro strap. We put the strap on somewhat loose for the kids when they were younger so they could get out very easy if the flipped over. We also worked with them extensively on how to get out doing controlled flip overs with them right behind the boat.

Memmer99
07-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Man I had to pop a few glucosamine pills after reading this thread. LOL

tadarch2
07-13-2010, 05:08 PM
I would highlyrecommend the O'Brien Ricochet kneeboard. We have tried other kneeboards that have the plastic fold down hooks that have broke. The Ricochet is a great kneeboard. All the kids we boat with prefer it over the other sometimes cheaper kneeboards. So we are always taking it along, even when we go on other peoples boat. It may not look like it holds the rope very well. But trust me it does. And as mentioned start out slow until they get up. And then move on to the appropriate speed.

mikebu
07-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Obrien also makes this thing called a Jimmy Jam (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=12669&cID=SHOPZ_12669) which isn't a kneeboard but it will hold the rope for him and he can stand up on it and probably kneel on it. It is onsale now for $59 at the above link.