PDA

View Full Version : Removing 6.5" speakers in side cupholder area

Fman
07-13-2010, 11:12 AM
I had to pick up a new set of front speakers for the bow, now I am considering replacing them all. I was trying to remove one of the speakers last night in the cup holder area on the starbird side of the boat and I could not get it out. Removed all the mounting screws, but there is not enough room to clear the magnet of the speaker.

Does anyone know how to take them out? I started to tear a little of the lining and stopped. The stainless grab bar appears to be in the way and I cant see how to remove this.

Thanks for any input......

KG's Supra24
07-13-2010, 11:50 AM
I just did alot of wiggling. There is a specific angle mine had to come out in. It was the same as i put it back in.

I did alot of the wiggling to get it completely free from the plastic. Mine had gotten kinda sticky where the speaker mounted up against the plastic.

wakeskate55
07-21-2010, 12:15 AM
I just did mine added wet sounds speakers in boat. You have to remove the grab bar nuts on the back side . Tight fit to get your hands in , but it can be done also you can remove cooler liner.I have a 2007 22ssv. Just becareful installing them not to tear material on trim panel.

Fman
07-21-2010, 12:34 AM
I just did mine added wet sounds speakers in boat. You have to remove the grab bar nuts on the back side . Tight fit to get your hands in , but it can be done also you can remove cooler liner.I have a 2007 22ssv. Just becareful installing them not to tear material on trim panel.

Are you going through the cup holder or can it be done on the outside of the speaker area?

wakeskate55
07-21-2010, 10:16 PM
I was able to get the old speakers out without removing grab handles.Just wiggle them back and forth.Installing them it is easier to unbolt the grab bars.

jonyb
07-23-2010, 05:59 PM
The whole panel comes out. If you're taking out the crappy Kenwoods, and they're hard to get out, that just means the new speakers are gonna be even harder to get back in because anything else will have a bigger magnet.

To get the panel out, you'll have to crawl to a point you can see the backside. There's several studs sticking through with 1/2" nuts that'll have to be removed.

Fman
07-25-2010, 11:46 AM
The whole panel comes out. If you're taking out the crappy Kenwoods, and they're hard to get out, that just means the new speakers are gonna be even harder to get back in because anything else will have a bigger magnet.

To get the panel out, you'll have to crawl to a point you can see the backside. There's several studs sticking through with 1/2" nuts that'll have to be removed.

Ugh.... Will probably hold off until the winter. Sounds like a pretty involved job. I must have low standards, because my 6 kicker speakers in the boat sounds fine to me. I rarely use them when pulling someone because it is too loud in the boat with them on. Usually just use them for low volume listening.

I guess I need to hear some wetsounds to see the difference.