PDA

View Full Version : Resolved: not a fan of skiers choice right now!!!

venom93corba
07-13-2010, 09:04 PM
So on the way back from the fireworks on the 4th I hit something in the water. It took out my prop, ruder and shaft. So onto the dealer on the 6th. After the inspection the dealer calls SC and they confirm all the parts are in stock. So today I get a call from the dealer and he tells me that he hadn't received the parts yet and just got off the phone with SC and the said that the parts that were in stock had got used to make up some 2010 boats this week. WtF! Are you kidding me ? This doesn't sound right. Either my dealer made this story up saying the parts were in stock just to get my business (because I gave him a deadline) or SC took my parts to make a boat that's gonna sit on a lot for the next year. What do you guys think? Do I have any other options here?

Ptownkid
07-13-2010, 09:19 PM
While that does really suck...and i mean REALLY, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions unless you know for sure what happened.

venom93corba
07-13-2010, 10:03 PM
I plan on calling SC in the morning. I'm paying cash for all the parts, its not like its a warrenty job or something.

beast 496
07-13-2010, 10:17 PM
I have run into this also in the past. Not only from Supra, but Mastercraft, Rinker, Cobalt, ect. Production always comes before parts sales. It sucks. I have had some warranty jobs though which picked the parts from production runs. good luck Al

Fman
07-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Boat repairs are a minimun 3 weeks, from the time they approve the warranty repair (not in your case here), to getting the parts shipped and scheduling an appointment to have it repaired. Does not surprise SC would prioritize a production boat over a customer order. Even though the boat will sit at the dealer, the dealer has to purchase it from SC and they get instant $$$ when it leaves there door.

My rudder had a hairline crack last year and took three weeks to repair it, and this was in November after the season was over. Its frustrating, way different than the automotive world.

venom93corba
07-13-2010, 10:34 PM
It just sucks because I tried to stay on top of it. The first day it was in I had a quote and a approval from my insurance and he was ordering parts and tearing it down the first day. The only hang up was SC. All the fiberglass work is done and all parts are out of it just waiting on the new parts.
But tomorrow I'm sicking my wife on them so I'm expecting it to get taking care of ha ha.

Jon
07-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Your dealer should have other sources for parts other than Skiers Choice. Have them check those.

venom93corba
07-13-2010, 11:00 PM
The only thing he brought up was reapiring the parts. To me that's just asking for trouble. Where else can you go other then SC.

rludtke
07-13-2010, 11:44 PM
The major commercial aircraft manufacturing firm I work for has two completely separate streams of parts and part ordering systems, one for production, and one for spares, simply to keep that kind of event from ever happening. Unfourtunatly this kind of overhead is not a reasonable expectation for a boat manufacturer I am sure. Quite possibly your dealer did learn that parts were in stock, but there is know way to know when someone will walk to the shelf to grab one for the production line. So without the demand of an actual order, those parts were probably never alocated to you, and production beat you to it. Form the manufacturers position, protecting the delivery commitments is very important to keep the cash flowing. Production will always trump spares for that reason.

Fman
07-13-2010, 11:52 PM
It just sucks because I tried to stay on top of it. The first day it was in I had a quote and a approval from my insurance and he was ordering parts and tearing it down the first day. The only hang up was SC. All the fiberglass work is done and all parts are out of it just waiting on the new parts.
But tomorrow I'm sicking my wife on them so I'm expecting it to get taking care of ha ha.

That really does stink, as someone else mentioned try a different supplier. I am sure SC uses many of the same components as other wakeboard boats that are interchangeable with Supra.

Sorry again you are having hold ups, hopefully they can get on it quickly for you.

jet
07-14-2010, 12:34 PM
You guys have to learn that it is common for dealers to make shit up and flat out lie! I was in the car business for years and finally got fed up and quit, I just couldn't be around people like that any more. They are not on your side. Jet

p.s. not every dealer is like this..just a bunch of them.

venom93corba
07-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Well just got off the phone with SC and they say the problem is that the Manufacturer shuts down for 2 weeks during the 4th of July. Sure why not its not like its the most busiest time of the year for boating, makes perfect sense. I dont understand how you cant have these parts in stock? These have got to be the most requested parts due to the fact that there the exposed parts under the boat (ruder, prop, shaft, and shaft strut). I'm still hopeful to get it back in time for the cottage on Aug 1st.

KG's Supra24
07-14-2010, 01:37 PM
They are just saying whatever it takes to get you off the phone. There is no way these parts arent somewhere on a shelve.

Plus, someone else has these parts. Check around.

csuggs
07-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Not defending SC, but I do know that every boat they build is sold. They do not build inventory. Even still, if someone told you they had the parts, they should produce.
If you call SC directly, ask for Anthony Cooper @ 865-983-9934x118. He is very helpful and I'm sure will do what he can for you. Or you could try www.skidim.com - they can probably help too.

The correct phone for Anthony at Skier's Choice is 865-983-9924x118

KG's Supra24
07-14-2010, 01:41 PM
I'm assuming they sell the boats to dealers then?

Where are you located venom93corba?

venom93corba
07-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Wow, my wife just got off the phone with Anthony and amazingly he gave her a tracking number and looking at UPS my parts should make it to the dealership tomorrow. Anthony if your reading this this means a lot to my family, thank you.

foxriverat
07-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Anthony is a great guy. As busy as he is. He has always found the time to talk and help when I have needed it.

venom93corba
07-14-2010, 03:32 PM
Yeah his customer service was unbelievable. Does anyone have his direct number the one above was no longer in service. That would be a good number to have.

04Gravity
07-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Not defending SC, but I do know that every boat they build is sold. They do not build inventory. Even still, if someone told you they had the parts, they should produce.
If you call SC directly, ask for Anthony Cooper @ 865-983-9934x118. He is very helpful and I'm sure will do what he can for you. Or you could try www.skidim.com - they can probably help too.

Huh? Theres at least 3 of them that have been sitting at the local dealer since May.

csuggs
07-15-2010, 09:20 AM

Sorry - my bad. The number for SC and Anthony directly is 865-983-9924x118.
Ooops :(

csuggs
07-15-2010, 09:22 AM
Huh? Theres at least 3 of them that have been sitting at the local dealer since May.

In June I visited SC and Anthony gave me a tour of the plant. He told me that everything they were building was sold and that they do not build inventory. However, I'm sure that a dealer can order inventory.

87SunSportMikeyD
07-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Calling the Skiers Choice 800 number and asking for Anthony will get you right to him as well. I am glad to see this has been resolved. Hope no one minds if I edit the title.

The local Dealer is not the same as SC. SC only builds sold boats. The dealer will naturally have some inventory. I do not know who officially owns those boats untill they are sold anymore but i think it's the dealer.

iwakeboard
07-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Well just got off the phone with SC and they say the problem is that the Manufacturer shuts down for 2 weeks during the 4th of July. Sure why not its not like its the most busiest time of the year for boating, makes perfect sense. I dont understand how you cant have these parts in stock? These have got to be the most requested parts due to the fact that there the exposed parts under the boat (ruder, prop, shaft, and shaft strut). I'm still hopeful to get it back in time for the cottage on Aug 1st.

It's called model year change.

KG's Supra24
07-15-2010, 01:48 PM
I just can't imagine that the dealerships own the boats. I'm sure there is just some sort of mix up in the wording somewhere along the way or you are are just getting part of the whole picture.

iwakeboard
07-15-2010, 02:40 PM
I think the dealerships really do own the boats, as soon as they hit the floor they have 30 days to clear it before the GE financing starts to take their interest out, so they try not to order/buy anything from Skiers that doesn't go right back out the door.

KG's Supra24
07-15-2010, 02:55 PM
If the dealerships have some sort of financing arrangement with GE i would think they would push GE financing for new boat buyers. My dealership recommended several banks in town.

It also suprises me that a dealership would have the cashflow to support interest on 300,000 plus in boats. Let alone the balance sheet to allow them to borrow that much. Maybe they sell more boats than i think, though.

I'd have to take pictures and check back at my dealership months later but they have at least 5 to 10 boats sitting out there and I haven't seen alot of movement.

Who has bought a new boat? Who was the title from? SC or dealer? Im thinking its a consignment setup.

Im purely speculating and I guess it doesnt really matter but fun to guess about.

87SunSportMikeyD
07-15-2010, 03:50 PM
If a dealer can't afford to own a few boats, how could Skiers Choice afford to own a few thousand boats spread all throughout the country? I think they do some of both. When the economy turned down, boat builders started making less boats and dealers started carrying far fewer boats on the floor.

rludtke
07-15-2010, 10:32 PM
I believe that the dealers purchase the boats, and are extremely financed to do so. I think it is the same for automobile industry. The dealers have to make a commitment to buy a certain number of units each year to even be a dealership. Dealerships that buy the larger quantities get volume price breaks, which can help drive up their profit margins. This provides an incentive stimulator to be a large dealership.

jonyb
07-15-2010, 11:08 PM
In June I visited SC and Anthony gave me a tour of the plant. He told me that everything they were building was sold and that they do not build inventory. However, I'm sure that a dealer can order inventory.
Funny, I visited SC once, even had my boat out in the parking lot, wanted to speak with someone, and I was totally blown off. Jason was with me to verify that..... WAS NOT HAPPY!

I think the dealerships really do own the boats, as soon as they hit the floor they have 30 days to clear it before the GE financing starts to take their interest out, so they try not to order/buy anything from Skiers that doesn't go right back out the door.
Floor Plan. Lots of companies out there do that for dealers of everything from large home theater dealers to boats, cars, etc....

saltare inverts
07-16-2010, 08:27 AM
Dealers do own the boats. It called flooring or floor plan. When you become a dealer you have to buy so many boats a year or they can drop you as a dealer. There is some switching between dealers etc but the boats are bought buy the dealership. Thats why dealerships will do warranty work ahead of other customers. They want you serviced fast because you are more likely to return for a new boat every year or two. The nice perk is they get to buy a demo boat use it for the season sell it next season and when customer buys it warranty starts when they buy, usually.

csuggs
07-16-2010, 09:11 AM
[QUOTE=jonyb;41027]Funny, I visited SC once, even had my boat out in the parking lot, wanted to speak with someone, and I was totally blown off. Jason was with me to verify that..... WAS NOT HAPPY!

That's too bad. I guess I was just there at the right time. The tour was cool. At the time they were only building 4 boats per day with the capacity to build 16 per day. Supra and Moomba were being built on the same production line so it was cool to see the differences.

Fman
07-16-2010, 11:33 AM
[QUOTE=jonyb;41027]Funny, I visited SC once, even had my boat out in the parking lot, wanted to speak with someone, and I was totally blown off. Jason was with me to verify that..... WAS NOT HAPPY!

That's too bad. I guess I was just there at the right time. The tour was cool. At the time they were only building 4 boats per day with the capacity to build 16 per day. Supra and Moomba were being built on the same production line so it was cool to see the differences.

Are the Supra boats constructed the same way as Moomba? (ie: hand laid fiberglass, same gelcoat thickness, etc...)? I would love to tour the facility, unfortunatelty I am on the West Coast.