PDA

View Full Version : removing motor,have question

Ironcross25
07-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Im pulling the motor on my 86 supra marauder to begin my quest on the stringers. I have about everything unhooked. How do you seperate the tranny from the shaft? I removed the bolts around it, when I go to pull the motor will it just seperate? or is there something I have to do? thanks
nick

beast 496
07-13-2010, 10:19 PM
the motor and transmission is to be removed as an assy. You can separate the tranny bellhousing from the block once the engine it out of the boat. Al

Ironcross25
07-14-2010, 10:02 AM
I am talking about the round brass coupling that has 4 bolts in it. the shaft runs into it. Does that seperate from the other side?

sybrmike
07-14-2010, 10:38 AM
The 4 bolts are the only thing holding the two coupling halves together (well, that and probably some corrosion). The drive shaft half of the coupling is held on the shaft by a center nut and key.

Once the four bolts are out, you should be able to slide the driveshaft back and separate the coupling halves by loosening the shaft log packing nut (or dripless seal) and pulling/twisting on the prop. Mine took a few judicious whacks with a rubber mallet to break the corrosion bond. Be careful prying between the two coupling halves - the brass is soft and it's important to keep the mating faces clean and flat.

Mani
07-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Mine was a little tight to come undone due to corrosion, so I lifted the engine slightly and hit the coupler with a rubber mallet. It came undone.

Ironcross25
07-14-2010, 02:21 PM
cool. thanks for the tips guys. Hopefully taking the boat to my buddys shop to get the motor pulled tonight or tomorrow. I wish my cherry picker would go higher.

saltare inverts
07-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Just put cherry picker in back of a pickup so it will be high enough.

Ironcross25
07-14-2010, 04:35 PM
now thats a great idea. i dont know why I didnt think of that. thanks

04Gravity
07-14-2010, 09:53 PM
I am talking about the round brass coupling that has 4 bolts in it. the shaft runs into it. Does that seperate from the other side?

Short answer....Yes