PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filters

SupraTamu
07-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Just thought I would pass this information along that the service manager had told me. He had said that with the fuel we have now days with ethanol in it, that it takes less than 30 days for the gas to go bad if untreated. They have been told by all motor manufactures to change fuel filters on every service and some of them have even recommended installing a second fuel filter. Just thought this may be some helpful information.

jet
07-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Yes..I have a glass filter coming from the gas tank so I can see whets coming out of there and then I have one after the fuel pump before the carb. You have to be able to see into the filter so you know if water or gunk is trying to make its way into the carb. Jet

p.s. dont forget the Barryman's carb cleaner in the tank once a month or so. Its so GREAT at cleaning everything that last year I did Seafoam on my 97' Jeep and NO SMOKE CAME OUT. Have you seen this stuff? Its makes enough smoke to shut down your neighborhood. LOL

brack
07-14-2010, 09:35 PM
does anyone know where i can get a fuel / water seperator for Gas that has a clear bowl....all the ones i have found with clear bowls were for diesels . The gas ones just have a screw on filter.....it would be nice to see in the bottom of it to know if i need to drain it . This would have helped me the last time i went out and it kept stalling on me....come to find out i had water in my fuel filter bowl ( over half the bowl ).....i could have seen the issue and drained it...

thanx

jet
07-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Brack..how did you get water in it?? I took my separator out 8 years ago and have never had water in my tank for 12 years?? yes, some does get in there from cheap gas but Heet in the tank once in a while fixes that. Jet

michael hunter
07-14-2010, 10:59 PM
I dont see the connection between ethanol and changing fuel filters ? Sounds like a sales tactic to me.

brack
07-14-2010, 11:30 PM
Jet.....

Dont really know , could be multiple things but none add up yet .
(1) Drained my tank and flushed it out and re-installed about month ago
(2) fresh gas ( full tank )

I took her out for the 1st time july 4th weekend and she ran great on the 3rd (used 3/4 tank ) filled up on the 4th and used 1/2 tank that evening . On the 5th , My GF and my son were taking her out so i could work on trailer a bit . She called and said it would run good for about 10 minutes then stall , wait 5 minutes and start back up . this process happened 4-5 times so she brought it back in . i took her out and she did it again , ran strong then completely fell on her face . Loaded her up and took her home to check a few things .

When i pulled the fuel filter canister and dumped out the contents , i noticed it was half full of gas and half water . I took off my hose at the tank and pumped about a gallon of gas from the dip leg and it was pure gas ( kinda puzzled here ) THEN two things hit me...
(1) ithe first time i launched her , i forgot to put in the bottom plug and filled my bilge UP ( ok , insert jokes here )
(2) when i went to take off my fuel filter canister , i noticed the fuel line didnt have a clamp on the suction side of it

IM hoping and assuming this is where it came from......I know long story but it should get a few laffs !!

jaywidhalm
07-15-2010, 08:21 PM
I dont see the connection between ethanol and changing fuel filters ? Sounds like a sales tactic to me.

I agree...I don't see how ethanol treated fuel would cause filters to clog or get dirtier??

beast 496
07-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Glass bowl filters are not Coast Gaurd approved. Ethonal fuel is extremely corrosive. Ethonal absorbs moisture, It can absorb so much it will actually separate, this is called phased separation. Ethonal is also a cleaner, you have heard of fuel company's having fuel which cleanes your fuel system. Well without a filter all of the debri from the cleaning of the tank, lines ect. must be run through your carb or injectors, often clogging the jets or injectors. The original fuel lines which were used in the 80's were not alcohol approved, the rubber will deteriorate, all fuel lines which were produced in prior to 1992 should be replaced with new coast gaurd approved marine fuel line. Al

jet
07-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Thats not a lot of water, sounds like thats where your water came from. Put some Heet in the tank to absorb what might be in the tank.

SupraTamu
07-19-2010, 08:42 AM
Don't know if there was any validity to this or not I was just passing along information that was told to me so if somebody experienced the same issue they would have a place to start. I was having problems with mine missing and chugging at higher rpm and it was due to a filthy fuel filter. After the fuel filter was replaced took it out sunday and it ran great!

saltare inverts
07-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Were do you guys get your fuel filters?