PDA

View Full Version : Pulling Velvet Drive transmission

87 Sunsport
07-15-2002, 07:24 AM
I’m about to pull the Velvet Drive transmission on my PCM 351 Ford. Vince at DIM gave me some instructions but I want to see if there are any other caveats or pearls before I get started.

It looks like you have to loosen the forward engine mounts, to give the engine some play. The hydraulics disconnected and the exhaust hoses too. A bottle jack fits easily between the exhaust manifold and the port stringer. Then the bolts on the shaft come off and the shaft slides back, then the bolts against the bell housing and the 100lb transmission come out.

Has anyone done it?

Brian Raymond
08-31-2002, 12:34 AM
Some hints. Disconnect the trans. cooler from the port ex. manifold, undo throttle and shift cables, to releve back pain, remove ex. manifold hoses. I have found it easier to remove just the trans. as opposed to the trans and bellhousing,( unless replacing a dampner plate), Don't forget abot the 11/16ths behind the mounts if doing tranny only, these nuts are on 6inch threaded rod, so when reinstalling and aligning the splines up, you can let it rest there if needed.Hope this helps,contact me if you want. [email protected]