PDA

View Full Version : Window hold down screws stripped and loose.

87sunsport454
07-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Hello everyone.

On my sunsport the window screws are starting to strip and break the fiberglass aroung it. Has anyone else had this problem and what is the best way to go about fixing it? Do I use some epoxy or a resin? Maybe use bigger screws? thanks

Ironcross25
07-15-2010, 10:28 AM
I have the same prob on my 86 marauder. curious to know as well.

87SunSportMikeyD
07-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Not a lot but a few of my screws are doing this too. Anyone? :) I'm guessing it's time to replace them with a longer screw and washer/bolt on the bottom.

cmtaylor777
07-15-2010, 06:12 PM
I used a product called Aquamend to replace stripped snaps for my cover. It may work here as well. Home depot carries the stuff for like 5 bucks. Worth a shot.

Blackntan90
07-16-2010, 03:01 PM
What is backing up the screws? On my 90 Mariah, my windsheild screws through the 'glass, and is backed up by wood. There are several parts on my boat that I have added wood back up to cure stripped/loose screws. If you can at least reach the area with your hand, that is half the battle!

87sunsport454
07-23-2010, 10:53 AM
I have nothing backing up my screws. Are they supposed to be there or is this something that people have done to fix this problem? Putting a backer in there is a good idea i will have to look into this but I dont think that I have all that much room up there to get something in there. I am still curious as to is there some epoxy that I can use?

Supra-in-steamboat
07-24-2010, 09:23 AM
Pull a screw, monkey underneath to the inner depth of your boat and look up. Can you see the hole? Maybe pass a string or small gauge wire down the hole to assist you in finding it. The inner depths i refer to are on the very sides of your boat. There are two vents, one right one left, of your windshield- under there. Access it from the open bow area and use monkey skills to crawl/ squeeze back. Bring flashlight, headlamp, and cell phone-(just in case you get stuck.) Once you find the hole, choose you weapon... Bolt, toggle bolt, screw, chemicals. If I remember correctly the two most outer and lowest screws on the windshield are accessible from below.
You can use a larger screw, but boats vibrate a ton and will most likely strip out over time. Quick fix could include two sided tape or velcro- no crawling or monkey skillz required. Good luck man.

Blackntan90
07-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Monkey skills, thats a very good description of what you need to do just about anything to a boat! Well at least mine is a d.d. So engine maintenence is very easy!

warek1814
07-25-2010, 02:32 PM
"monkey skills" Thats is a good one. When I adjust the shaft packing I find my self in a wierd compromising position (monkey skils). Bent onver and balancing on my head with both hands in the v-drive compartment.