PDA

View Full Version : Winch Replacement

ssmith
07-15-2010, 09:38 AM
I just ordered the Fulton F2 jack and started wanting the matching winch. Do I need the 2000 lb or the 3000 lb rated winch?

iwakeboard
07-15-2010, 12:25 PM
You ordering it from Boatmate's part webpage? I would think why not just order the bigger one? Wouldn't it do nothing but make it easier to load? Maybe I'm missing something.

jdub667
07-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Orderd mine last week from smooth water sports comes with the adpter plate shipped was around 165.00 heres his e-mail.
Peter Brown [[email protected]]

ssmith
07-16-2010, 11:58 PM
Orderd mine last week from smooth water sports comes with the adpter plate shipped was around 165.00 heres his e-mail.
Peter Brown [[email protected]]

Did you order the jack or the winch? I already have the jack and I'm wanting the winch. If you are referring to the winch, I'm curious if you need an adapter plate for that as well. I ordered the jack from Peter.

So should I get the 2k or 3k rated winch?

ssmith
07-17-2010, 12:00 AM
You ordering it from Boatmate's part webpage? I would think why not just order the bigger one? Wouldn't it do nothing but make it easier to load? Maybe I'm missing something.
It's about a $100 difference plus the 3000 lb winch looks huge in a vid I watched. I'm just wondering what they put on them at the factory? I don't want to overkill it but also want something that is safely going to handle the load.

mapleleaf
07-17-2010, 12:18 AM
That winch does look pretty hot, was tempted to replace mine when I first saw it. Then I realized it would be the nicest looking part of my rig LOL. Can't have that!!!!!

ssmith
07-17-2010, 08:02 AM
I like the looks of the F2 plus my current one doesn't work so great.... so, I think its time for an upgrade.

Here's a pic of the winch I'm considering and the jack I installed last night (if anyone is interested). I'll post pics when its all completed.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/Boating/fulton.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/Boating/fulton2.jpg

ssmith
07-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Just checked out boatmates website and the standard boatmate trailer comes with a 1400# winch and a 1500# jack. So, the upgrades I listed above should be more than enough. The F2 series jack is 1600# and the F2 winch is 2000# or the 3000# version. I'm going with the 2000# option.

sybrmike
07-18-2010, 03:49 PM
I like your taste in hardware. The original Randall's VIP trailer (with the bottom half of my Saltare hull still on it) is stuck at a fab shop for some repairs (new disc brake coupler, port fender, etc.) - I don't weld.

They're making a new baseplate for my F2 winch (wouldn't bolt to the old plate) and welding the baseplate for the new F2 jack. Both seemed like pretty solid pieces (except for the little plastic handle clip on the jack).

Good luck with your mods.

ssmith
07-18-2010, 10:51 PM
I like your taste in hardware. The original Randall's VIP trailer (with the bottom half of my Saltare hull still on it) is stuck at a fab shop for some repairs (new disc brake coupler, port fender, etc.) - I don't weld.

They're making a new baseplate for my F2 winch (wouldn't bolt to the old plate) and welding the baseplate for the new F2 jack. Both seemed like pretty solid pieces (except for the little plastic handle clip on the jack).

Good luck with your mods.

LOL! Great minds think alike :D

Sounds like some great upgrades for your trailer.

techsledder
07-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Did you order the jack or the winch? I already have the jack and I'm wanting the winch. If you are referring to the winch, I'm curious if you need an adapter plate for that as well. I ordered the jack from Peter.

So should I get the 2k or 3k rated winch?

Supposedly you are supposed to choose a winch that has a capacity rating of at least half the combined weight of your boat, motor, and gear.

I just to replace mine and I was looking at the fancy F2 Aluminum as well. But for the $ is wasn't worth it to me. I bought this one (http://www.etrailer.com/p-FT21000301.html) instead. Plenty of winch for my 1990 SS.