PDA

View Full Version : Opinion On Stereo

Rusty Griswold
07-15-2010, 03:04 PM
opinion on Stereo System

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I see some speaker talk and I am not an expert but love music. So here is what I was thinking. I have a 06 24ssv with the stock kenwood system. Amp sub with interior speakers and tower speakers. I was thinking this.
In this order will my sound improve if I go either partial or all the way.

1. replace interior speakers
2. replace stereo. I am wanting a Ipod jack
3 replace amp
4. replace sub
5. replace tower speakers ( I still like the look and size. I have speaker sox on )

Thanks for the input

jonyb
07-15-2010, 05:26 PM
I replied in your other thread, but it would be better if you'd reply here. I didn't see this post first.

KY Steve
07-15-2010, 05:30 PM
Same boat same year and just finished part of my stereo upgrade on a pretty low budget, but by no means am I an expert.

1) Stock interior speakers suck, I plan to replace them with Wet Sounds next year, model depends on budget at that time.

2) If you have the Kenwood head unit you can buy an ipod adapter for it. I bought the WS420 and just hook my satellite radio/mp3 directly to it bypassing the head unit. The WS420 is definitely worth the money!.

3) I kept the stock Kenwood amp for my interiors and added a second amp for the sub and towers, much louder now.

4) plan to replace sub next year.

5) I installed Kicker KM6200 in the stock Roswell bar, lower cost and sound good with new amp. You do need to redrill mounting holes.

Again, not quite the system of others on this site but a huge improvement from stock. Here is a link to the thread with pics.

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=6708

wakejmpr
07-15-2010, 05:58 PM
I have an 07 launch 24 ssv. The kenwood system that comes with the boat is absolute garbage. Ripped the whole thing out. All of it including the head unit. Replaced it all with JL Audio marine. Put in two 10" subs. Put in two amps one for just the subs and one to power everything else. Replaced all interior speakers. Added two extra tower speakers. If you plan to go the route of wet sounds expect to pay. That stuff is bad ass. A close second is the JL. If you gut the whole boat which I highly recommend and replace it with the JL expect to spend around 3k just for the gear. If you put it in you'll save quite a bit of money because install isn't cheap. However the payoff is well worth it. I don't hate my stereo anymore and actually enjoy just hanging out on my boat. The thing pounds super loud. I'll post pics

Rusty Griswold
07-15-2010, 08:38 PM
I replied in your other thread, but it would be better if you'd reply here. I didn't see this post first.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if my post would get much action over there.
thanks

Rusty Griswold
07-15-2010, 08:50 PM

Thanks, I wasn't sure if my post would get much action over there.
thanks

jonyb
07-15-2010, 09:33 PM
thanks for the responses. budget just got bigger. I can go 2,000 But I need to find someone in the northern Ky Cincinnati area to install. The system is bad, I will give you that.

Anyone have any installers in these area's let me know. The boat is at Lake Cumberland, KY

I can get you set up with all Wet Sounds, 2 amps, 5 pair of speakers, and 1 12" sub for just under your budget, but that's before labor and parts. I'll PM you the quote. Lake Cumberland is 4 hours away, but it really depends on what part of Cumberland. I think the Jamestown area is 4.5 or so.

KG's Supra24
07-15-2010, 10:51 PM
I am assuming jonyb is talking about running 2 additional amps. I.would recommend.that that route. 1 dedicated to sub, 1 dedicated to tower and 1 for in boat. That is what i did except 2 for the tower. 600 rms to tower and.600 rms to sub and whatever.the.stock is to in boats.

I also replied.over.there.before seeing this. You can reply back here. I believe you can still buy stand alone 6.5 hlcds if you want to keep the.roswell lightbar

No offense to jonyb but.don't get.wrapped up in thinking wetsounds is your only option. Yes.it is prob the most popular but.not the only.solid option you have.

KG's Supra24
07-15-2010, 10:55 PM
I did my system on a budget and feel like it is pretty solid. I am over amped but.did so so i could upgrade in the future.

I went polk dbs in boat to save money. Loud enough for me. Usually turned way down actually.

jonyb
07-15-2010, 11:03 PM
I am assuming jonyb is talking about running 2 additional amps. I.would recommend.that that route. 1 dedicated to sub, 1 dedicated to tower and 1 for in boat. That is what i did except 2 for the tower. 600 rms to tower and.600 rms to sub and whatever.the.stock is to in boats.

I also replied.over.there.before seeing this. You can reply back here. I believe you can still buy stand alone 6.5 hlcds if you want to keep the.roswell lightbar

No offense to jonyb but.don't get.wrapped up in thinking wetsounds is your only option. Yes.it is prob the most popular but.not the only.solid option you have.
nope, a complete replacement of what he has now. The only thing he keeps is the head unit.

Yes, there are other options, but you can't buy Wet Sounds from a hackjob on the net like you can the Polks. Lots of complaints on the Polks lately. I've replaced several pair myself from local people. If you're happy with what you have, that's all that matters. You obviously have'nt heard the difference in sound quality from other normal speakers to the Wet Sounds. They have a totally different sound then any of the other car audio speakers out there.

wakejmpr
07-15-2010, 11:28 PM
I work at an electronics store up in the Midwest that does quite a bit of marine install and unfortunately we don't sell wet sounds. Been on a few boats that have them and they really are the way to go if your willing to pay for it. Those things scream loud and clear even 70ft back when your getting a pull. Yes there are other options and if you don't want to go that route JL is your second best for the money. Most everything else is mediocre and if your willing to drop a few grand don't settle. I would do it piece meal until you get in your boat the best quality. Maybe sacrifice tower speakers this season and next season when you have a little more money get that. Don't be afrade to go to a retailer and hear the stuff. I can say the JL marine is legit. Our boat puts just about everything on the water to shame.

KG's Supra24
07-16-2010, 09:24 AM
You obviously have'nt heard the difference in sound quality from other normal speakers to the Wet Sounds. They have a totally different sound then any of the other car audio speakers out there.

Let me clarify here. I am not comparing the polks to the wetsounds. My polk comment was an option for cheaper in boat speakers that still get the job done and are plenty loud for interior, if you dont have to have the best.

I am saying that the hollowpoints are comparable to the wetsounds. I believe these are very close to equals and the hollowpoints look better, IMO. Exile is right there with them.

I agree with wakejmpr. Have a plan for the ending result and work towards it one piece at a time. I did the polks because it was $150 for all the interiors. I put hollowpoint coaxials on the tower for now. Over the winter i hope to upgrade to 7.7 hollowpoints on the tower and put the coaxials, now on the tower, in the boat. Amps are already ready for this switch so all i have to do is buy the speakers.

jonyb, you will be glad to know i did not buy my stuff from a "hackjob".