PDA

View Full Version : dies at idle

swoods1127
07-15-2010, 08:59 PM
I have a 1992 supra Marauder. It only has 325 hours on it, it runs great. But when i am at idle it dies, or it will idle until i put it in gear then it dies. Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks

OUI
07-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Could be a timing issue. But probably just need to adjust the idle speed screw on the carb.

rludtke
07-16-2010, 11:58 PM
Adjust your idle speed setting to be 600 rpm idling in gear in the water (this puts the engine under a load), with a warmed up engine. That will equate to about 1000 rpm in neutral. The idle mixture screws may need to be adjusted as well. With the idle speed set as above, idling in neutral, screw one mixture needle in all the way, then quickly (before she dies) screw the needle out in 1/2 turn increments (counting each one to keep track) until you hear/see the engine idle speed up and smooth out. This should occurr at about 1 1/2 and 3turns. Repeat on the second idle adjustment screw. Screw the adjustment out too far and the engine will begin to run less smooth. Give the engine what she wants, screw the needles in or out until the engine runs the best. As the engine idle speed may have changed, re-set it again. This should solve your problem if all is well with your carb.