PDA

View Full Version : 21V Tower set screw?

docdrs
07-15-2010, 11:11 PM
M y tower has been squeeking like a stuck pig when in choppy water....traced it to the right front foot where there is a small allen wrench set screw about 1/4 x1/4". looked at other feet and the screws were missing.......anyone with a 21v notice this??????

pic or missing set screw

jonyb
07-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Sorry I couldn't help, thats totally different then my tower.

tg0824SSVGG
07-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Doc,

I have lost one of them a well on my tower, but it was on the back
leg, drivers side (same side where I now have the rubber pad coming 'out').

I bought about 8 of them from Fastenal and keep them in a bag on the boat,
"just in case" -- but I have also now added checking them for tightness
to my routine.

When I can get out there, I will see if the bag they are in has a part number
on it.

Todd

docdrs
07-16-2010, 08:20 AM
Todd, I'm wondering if they actualy do anything as they are pretty wimpy as far as holding the tower. was thinking the just helped during installation,

on a sidenote ,got my sky ski rack on ...sweet swivel rack.....and after about 2 hours of riding i can fly for aweebit of a distance......i started out wth no rear shim then went to alot to reduce lift and am now down to adime atthe very back of the wing, which willbecoming soon i expect......wow are these things ever sensitive :)....they are like women :)

tre
07-16-2010, 11:02 AM
My tower also sounds like a stuck pig in choppy water. I tightened all those small set screws and it did not help. I'm not sure those set screws do anything.

Sluggo
07-16-2010, 11:11 AM
I have replaced the rear pads twice and fronts once on my 2005 22 SSV cause they keep sliding out. Anyone have a solution for keeping the pads in place? I keep the mounting bolts tight. The adhesive that comes on them seems pretty good when they go on, but it is only on one side of the pad. Anyone try putting something on the top side that would make contact with the tower?

Fman
07-16-2010, 11:26 AM
M y tower has been squeeking like a stuck pig when in choppy water....traced it to the right front foot where there is a small allen wrench set screw about 1/4 x1/4". looked at other feet and the screws were missing.......anyone with a 21v notice this??????

pic or missing set screw

Doc,

I had some squeeking on my tower and sprayed a little WD-40 in all the hinge areas where the tower folds down and it took care of it, might want to consider giving this a try.

KG's Supra24
07-16-2010, 11:48 AM
I have replaced the rear pads twice and fronts once on my 2005 22 SSV cause they keep sliding out. Anyone have a solution for keeping the pads in place? I keep the mounting bolts tight. The adhesive that comes on them seems pretty good when they go on, but it is only on one side of the pad. Anyone try putting something on the top side that would make contact with the tower?

Are the pads not thick enough or am I misunderstanding you? Could you double up the pads? Mine is sandwhiched in there pretty good. I had a tough time getting it pulled back under when it slid out a bit.

Sluggo
07-16-2010, 11:54 AM
I replaced them cause they slid out so far they ripped threw one of the screw holes. With only three holes, they alwasy seem to slide to the outside. I guess I could have prevented needing new ones by addressing the issue sooner. Still wondering how they move around so much.

tcm2538
06-30-2011, 09:48 AM
Doc,

I have lost one of them a well on my tower, but it was on the back
leg, drivers side (same side where I now have the rubber pad coming 'out').

I bought about 8 of them from Fastenal and keep them in a bag on the boat,
"just in case" -- but I have also now added checking them for tightness
to my routine.

When I can get out there, I will see if the bag they are in has a part number
on it.

Todd

Todd,
Do you recall which set screws you bought from Fastenal? I'm missing one on my 2008 21V.

Thanks!

Diggs
06-30-2011, 12:17 PM
I got the trick to remove squeaks in your tower. I have not had squeaks with the new tower, but the normal style tower always squeeked.

Seperate the tower at every joint and put some electrical tape in between and then put it back together. I have done this and it always worked. Not sure about those set screws. never really noticed them.

wakejmpr
06-30-2011, 05:43 PM
If you never need to take your tower down then I suggest loc tight. That stuff is business. Nothing will ever rattle loose ever again. As for the pads under the feet, you can get some serious marine grade rubber padding from just about any marine store online. Replaced mine last season. Champion ever since. Plus put new screws washers and bolts with nylock on the tower feet. We have a few big guys that ride 250+ and that bad boy doesn't flinch now.

cigars n scotch
06-30-2011, 09:37 PM
I have the same tower, '08 21V and I've never noticed it squeaking however I am going to check the tower tomorrow and make it another checklist item each time I go out now. I also haven't really ridden in real chop yet though I am destined too sometime in the near future probably. I'll make note of any squeaking.