PDA

View Full Version : Confusing Leak

hawksfan
07-16-2010, 12:21 PM
I have 1999 Supra Legacy. Purchased at auction so I am not sure what history of boat is. After certain repairs finally put boat in water. Right away noticed leak out of what looks like old screw holes in Bilge pump compartment. after taking boat out of water really didn't notice any cracks or damage to outside of hull in front belly area where compartment would be at. So I bought some Epoxy and covered the holes. Once epoxy cured I put boat in water and noticed water now coming in from 4 different old mount screw holes. The holes were not leaking the first time. Got home drained water out and looked underneath hull and didn't see anything suspicious. I could epoxy these holes but curious as to where this water is coming from. I really don't want to take to dealer as I spent enough money on repairs.

Anyone experience similar issues. Any advice would be appreciated.

foxriverat
07-16-2010, 12:36 PM
How bout those Hawks hawksfan. What a year. Check out this post. It might help. https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=6763

hawksfan
07-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Yes great year for us Chicago hockey fans. thanks for the link. Can't Believe only solution is to drill a hole in compartment to install plug. I am new to this forum. Was anyone able to determine were this water is coming in from.

Again thanks ahead of time for any help.

Very frustrated with this boat.

foxriverat
07-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Check if under your rubrail is siliconed. If not. I would silicone it. The hole I drilled and plugged. Is to monitor if water is still getting in there. And to vacum it out if it does. Ok gotta go skiing b4 I leave for work.

hawksfan
07-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Cant be coming from Rub rails. boat was still on trailer when water started coming in. Thanks.

But will silicone anyway. I did silicone everything else.

foxriverat
07-17-2010, 01:58 AM
While the boats on trailer. Disconect bildge. Keep plug in. And fill engine compartment with a few buckets of water. look under boat and see if its leaking.

Supra-in-steamboat
07-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Hawksfan- I did a search in the archives for "comp bilge" and came up with a post from June by Autobahnracing. Seems like a similar problem. Basically drill a hole in in the floor (4" hole saw), ues a shop-vac, then install a 4" screw off cover over it. Good luck man.

hawksfan
07-18-2010, 12:29 AM
foxriver... I did that took a hose and filler her up. And no water was leaking. Even kept water in for a day and noting leaked out. Only thing I can think off is water pressure when get dropped in water lot great that when you fill compartment. Water comes in but really doesn't want to come out.

foxriverat
07-18-2010, 07:34 AM
Have you checked shaft packing nut on drive shaft? If packings bad. It will easily come in through there.

warek1814
07-18-2010, 11:15 AM
I would check shaft packing,rudder,exhaust tubes,muffler, and all water lines on motor/trans.

jzelt
07-19-2010, 01:33 PM
Any ballast?

I noticed yesterday our one fitting at the sprinkler valve has a crack (the width of a finger nail) and it doesn't do anything while sitting, drips on idle, it flows pretty good and worse at 30 mph. Getting that fixed tonight.

I recommend like you think, having someone else drive and you watch everywhere water can come in. Got at no wake speed first for 10 mins and see if you can find where it is coming in at. Look for any drops forming around the bottoms of things.