PDA

View Full Version : ignition disconnect switch (button)

PATRICK GARZA
07-16-2010, 07:34 PM
I recently purcahsed a 1992 Supra Sunsport and took it out over the weekend. Unfortunately, after getting in the middle of the lake the ignition button would release (similiar to a circuit breaker popping) for unknown reasons. I was able to reset it to gain electrical power again and start motor. After it did it a second time I felt it would be in my best interest to return to the ramp and investigate. has anyone experienced similair conditions? Appreciate your input to solve the delemia!

riveredge
07-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Those switches / breakers don't last forever. Just replace it and be done with it, skidim.com sells them as well as nautiqueparts.com. My stereo button would do that, because it gets pushed every time I use the boat... quick swap out and done.

rludtke
07-18-2010, 09:26 PM
...after getting in the middle of the lake the ignition button would release (similiar to a circuit breaker popping) for unknown reasons. I was able to reset it to gain electrical power again and start motor. After it did it a second time I felt it would be in my best interest to return to the ramp and investigate. has anyone experienced similair conditions?

Hi Patrick,
That button actual is a circuit breaker. Circuit breakers do not have the duty-cycle of switches, they weren't intended to be cycled a gazillian times. So your circuit breaker could be wearing out.

But- and I think this is just as likely (50/50 likelihood)- it could also be functioning as it is intended. It may be tripping because of a short or excess amperage draw. Try to make sure their isn't an electrical problem somewhere. The "ignition" breaker (switch) is actual the "Main" or master electrical circuit that provides power to all the remaining circuits, so your problem might be anywhere.

Hope this helps...