PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a wakesurfer advice please

Kip
07-16-2010, 10:40 PM
I need advice on a good reasonably priced waksurf board for our boat. I would like a board that everyone could ride which may be tricky. I am about 270 and the other riders are from 180 up.

I have looked at the cwb ride and also the hyperlite broadcast. What are your thoughts on these boards or what are some other boards I should look into.

I would be very interested in a used board to start out with if anyone has one for sale.

Thanks
Kip

Fman
07-17-2010, 12:03 AM
Kip,

I have the 5'4" broadcast, its a good beginner/intermediate board. All levels can ride it, easy to stay in the pocket with. I am sure others will chime in on some other brands that work well also.

Supra-in-steamboat
07-17-2010, 09:18 AM
I agree with Fman. This Broadcast should work out for you and the crew. They offer two sizes- I would roll the 5'4" over the longer one- should still be plenty of board for you all. Good luck and have fun.

ScottnAz
07-17-2010, 09:46 AM
How's your wave? If you get on too small a board, then you'll need to make the wave larger for additional push. For your weight and crew, I'd say the 5'6" Broadcast. Keep a close eye on craigslist. Last summer I was able to find an 05' broadcast on there for $50. Hyperlite has the Landlock, but that things a monster, at nearly 6' long. The Liquid Force Venture is another board in this category for larger riders and/or smaller waves.
If you can find an Inland Surfer Blue Lake or Red Woody, jump on either of those boards.

Kip
07-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Our wave seems tall but not long. i will try to get some pics. As of now I don't have any ballast but will probably get some soon. maybe a couple 350's.

any thoughts on the CWB Razr for my situation. Found one for a little under 300.

ScottnAz
07-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Razr would be great for the 180-220 guys, not so sure about you though. I rode the Razr for a couple years and think it's a great board. At $300, I'm not sure I'd take the risk of you being able to ride it. IMO, max weight for th Razr is 220ish.

adopsahl
07-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Not sure how you define reasonably priced, but I also had problems with being larger than the rest of my crew. I am 6'6" and 240.

I have the Hyperlite Landlock - huge board, everyone can get up and then go straight...not many options beyond getting a beginner up, but it does that well.

I have the Phase 5 Oogle - large board, feels a bit small for me, but it works. Slippery and a good next board to build skills on since it takes more from the rider to work well. Not my favorite board though.

I also bought a Walker Project custom last year (best $400+ I have spent on my boating), and the ride is completely different. I am sure this is true on other higher end boards, but this is the only one I have ridden. Just by buying that board, I feel I have gotten much better (now pulling 360's and jumping a foot or two off the wake).

I am looking for a good twin-tip for a larger rider, does any one know of one? (I was hoping to snag an Asylum Mojo Grande (http://www.trickboardz.com/), but he is not making them right now and is not sure when he will start again.)

wotan2525
07-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Not sure how you define reasonably priced, but I also had problems with being larger than the rest of my crew. I am 6'6" and 240.

I have the Hyperlite Landlock - huge board, everyone can get up and then go straight...not many options beyond getting a beginner up, but it does that well.

I have the Phase 5 Oogle - large board, feels a bit small for me, but it works. Slippery and a good next board to build skills on since it takes more from the rider to work well. Not my favorite board though.

I also bought a Walker Project custom last year (best $400+ I have spent on my boating), and the ride is completely different. I am sure this is true on other higher end boards, but this is the only one I have ridden. Just by buying that board, I feel I have gotten much better (now pulling 360's and jumping a foot or two off the wake).

I'm a little smaller than you but have been able to ride some pretty tiny boards.... My "big" board is my Oogle. How big is your walker custom? I was having a blast yesterday on a Walker Towanza Custom 4'6" but I think if I bought one I'd want it just a hair larger.... I've got a Walker Custom X 4'8" that is not as aggressive....

kodybyron
07-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Bought the hyperlite broadcast this past weekend...lets just say 4 out of 5 guys got up first try. need to work on my wake..but overall FUN TIMES!

HELP WITH THE WAKE!

wotan2525
07-19-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm sort of a simple guy but whenever anyone asks for help with their wake, my answer is: MORE WEIGHT! Unless you have water coming over your rub-rail.... KEEP GOING!

Kip
07-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. If the weather holds out we are going to take a guy out in our boat with his Hyperlite Broadcast and fat sacs to give it a try. I will let you know how things go. Thanks again for all the advice.

Kip
07-20-2010, 11:06 PM
So the weather was great and i had my first opportunity to try wake surfing. I can definitely see how it would be a fun relaxing way to enjoy time on the boat. We had a 5'6" hyperlite Broadcast and 900 lbs of ballast sitting beside the engine cover. I was not able to drop the rope but on my second run i started to find the sweet spot and carry slack in the rope. I think I will probably hunt for a cheap used broadcast or maybe a landlock. I like the idea of the landlock being easier for me to surf but worry that I would get bored with it after awhile. Any thoughts or other suggestions.

Here is a pic of the wake with a friend riding the broadcast. http://images5a.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp63397%3Enu%3D3268%3E279%3E299%3EWSNR CG%3D3497973%3B3532%3Bnu0mrj

87SunSportMikeyD
07-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Kip that is awesome! Good pic. First I think if you can use a little more weight you will find things easier. Usually knee high is the minimum wave height, but if you can get it thigh high you will really have fun. With the bigger wave it's a little more forgiving if you lose a bit of momentum.

Your foot position looks really good. I also got a Broadcast short first. It works pretty good.