PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance on a boat that's been sitting?

Ptownkid
07-18-2010, 07:29 PM
What things would you guys suggest I do or check before launching a boat that has been sitting for an undetermined amount of time? It seems....as if it has been sitting for a little over 2 years, but that info may not be reliable.

Things i plan on doing for sure

-Empty old fuel out
-change oil and oil filter
-change fuel filter
-tune-up

Any more that should be on my list?

mapleleaf
07-18-2010, 07:36 PM
maybe tranny oil
check to see that bilge pump is working
clean electrical connections to motor, etc....

Might want to try and run it on a hose before you launch???
Was it winterized properly? Check all block drain plugs....
I'm sure there's more......

Ptownkid
07-18-2010, 07:47 PM
It sounds like it runs fine...not worried about that one. 99% sure the bilge pump is dead as the fuses are fine, and the light comes on when I flip the switch, but no pump...no biggie.

I've been through the electrical with a fine tooth comb, dismantled the entire dash and reassembled and everything works...not sure how I made zero mistakes, lol.

Tranny oil...what's involved there?

NeilMcg
07-18-2010, 10:52 PM
This might sound silly, but have you checked the hull's integrity? Unreal as it seems there are boats that sink upon launching...all from lack of prep. Of course start the engine on the trailer and make sure the controls work, but also check for a breech in the hull or other place (prop shaft, rudder, h2o pickup and transom. I would put water in the bilge and watch for any water seeping out.

sybrmike
07-18-2010, 11:01 PM
I'd run through the maintenence schedule located in the User's Manual (found in the "community/library" tab on this site).

You're ahead of the game if it'll start & run on a hose and you've got good gauges (congrats on the zero defect re-workmanship!). I second the tranny oil - use a mechanical pump to siphon out through the dipstick & refill. Probably throw in a new raw water pump impeller to be safe.

Can't remember how far you travelled to pick her up, but check/repack the trailer bearings if you haven't already & it's much of a haul to the water. Also, grease the rudder shaft - '92 probably has the later style with some zerk fittings (buried up under the gas tank).

I'd get a bilge pump working (just in case...).

Take some basic tools (including wrenches for the driveshaft packing).
Continued good luck!

Supra-in-steamboat
07-19-2010, 10:47 AM
I agree with NeilMcg- inspect the hull and maybe stay hooked up to the trailer for an extra five minutes at the dock to make sure all is good. We looked at one that sat for @7 years. Mechanic drained the oil and replaced it with ATF, manually turned the motor, and did not like what he heard. Sybrmike is right, if it's running you are already ahead. Good luck man and hope all goes well in the water.

brack
07-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Mine sat for almost 10 years before I put her in .8 with PO and a year half with me .

Things I did ;
Changed all fluids
Spark plugs n wires
New carb
New electronic ig distributor
NEW IMPELLER ON RAW WATER PUMP
Checked bulge pump
Removed and flushed fuel tank
Check blower for the bilge
Checked nav lights
Checked steering cable
Checked rudder
New fuel filter
.......launched her the 1st time July 4th weekend and I was like a proud papa

DAFF
07-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Pull the alt and the starter and bring them in for a overhaul/once over. Might only be 1-200 dollars in all but much better than sitting on the lake with a no start. Most of all bring some tools with you for the maiden voyage. That way nothing will break!!!!

Ptownkid
07-19-2010, 05:56 PM
So it appears that there's a very slow drip from the pop shaft where it exits the hull...is this a simple case of some kind of gasket, and how involved is the repair?

sybrmike
07-19-2010, 06:46 PM
You probably have the original standard packing seal (versus "dripless" mechanical seal) - so no repair needed. The packing gland nut compresses several rings of rope packing material that makes the seal to the shaft. The packing needs a drip every minute or two to keep it cool and lubricated, so it's normal. If' it's leaking like a sieve, then you can tighten down the packing nut a bit, but you gotta keep a slow drip or else risk burning the packing and scarring the shaft. Might consider replacing the packing on a new used boat - never know the last time it was done. Do a search on "packing" or "shaft seal" - lots of threads on the subject.

Ptownkid
07-19-2010, 06:54 PM
So I should see a drip out of the bottom of the hull? Also, if I were to replace, wouldn't going to a dripless be better?

Mani
07-19-2010, 08:10 PM
You should see a drip or two every thirty seconds from the prop shaft. Packing rope is cheaper than a dripless system. Much cheaper.

Ptownkid
07-19-2010, 08:57 PM
The drip was coming every second...where does the water to lube the packing come from?

mapleleaf
07-19-2010, 10:01 PM
The drip was coming every second...where does the water to lube the packing come from?

Where is the water the boat is sitting in...LOL prolly needs to be repacked, simple, pretty quick, get some flax rope packing and search here for packing replacement......I adjusted the tightness on my packing on the water once replaced.

rludtke
07-19-2010, 10:08 PM
I'd run through the maintenence schedule located in the User's Manual (found in the "community/library" tab on this site).

You're ahead of the game if it'll start & run on a hose and you've got good gauges (congrats on the zero defect re-workmanship!). I second the tranny oil - use a mechanical pump to siphon out through the dipstick & refill. Probably throw in a new raw water pump impeller to be safe.

Can't remember how far you travelled to pick her up, but check/repack the trailer bearings if you haven't already & it's much of a haul to the water. Also, grease the rudder shaft - '92 probably has the later style with some zerk fittings (buried up under the gas tank).

I'd get a bilge pump working (just in case...).

Take some basic tools (including wrenches for the driveshaft packing).
Continued good luck!

Yes yes yes to all of the above. Especially the wheel bearings. I lost three of four sets of wheel bearings on my trailer on the way home from purchasing my boat. This year I had one bearing failure, and, when I tore them all down for service, I found two others hubs with corroded bearings. It had only sat in storage over one winter.

Fman
07-19-2010, 11:00 PM
What things would you guys suggest I do or check before launching a boat that has been sitting for an undetermined amount of time? It seems....as if it has been sitting for a little over 2 years, but that info may not be reliable.

Things i plan on doing for sure

-Empty old fuel out
-change oil and oil filter
-change fuel filter
-tune-up

Any more that should be on my list?

Definitely NEW IMPELLER, and throw it on a fake-a-lake before you hit the water, this will help eliminate some headaches if you have some items to take care of before its in the water. Dont rev up the motor on the fake lake, you will toast your impeller, idling or very low RPMs is fine.

Hows the steering cable? probably will need to replace that.

Ptownkid
07-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Anyone know where the fuel filter is located on a 92 saltare...does it even have one?

Ptownkid
07-20-2010, 09:12 PM
Anyone know what size shaft packing a saltare takes?

Ptownkid
07-23-2010, 07:44 AM
Ok...so I found the fuel filter, it's remotely mounted to the starboard side of the engine, oil filter is hidden underneath to the port side. Turns out an oil change requires pumping the oil out from the dipstick.....fun!

Also, the shaft diameter is 1" and the packing nut is 1 7/8' and you need 1/4" packing. Hopefully this info will turn up here for the next person like me.

Made a diy fake-a-lake and fired her up last night and oh man, this 454 is manly!!! Love that sound.

brack
07-24-2010, 12:14 AM
congrats......yes a the big block will purr.....i loved it the first time i put mine in the water , sounded so sweet