PDA

View Full Version : Snapped My Prop Shaft

Memmer99
07-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Broke My prop shaft yesterday. We were cruising to our spot and it felt like the tranny went into nuetral. I ended up diving under the boat and noticed the prop was missing. Once we pulled the boat out of the water this is what we found.

http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/memmer99/Boat%20Pics/7-18-10104.jpg
http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/memmer99/Boat%20Pics/7-18-10108.jpg
http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/memmer99/Boat%20Pics/7-18-10110.jpg
http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/memmer99/Boat%20Pics/7-18-10112.jpg

We didn't hit anything, it just seemed to snap off. Luckily ther was no damage to the boat at all. Just a small scratch on the rudder.
Does anyone know if the prop shaft wears out after time, It is 20+ years old.

wotan2525
07-19-2010, 05:08 PM
What the hell!! That is one of the craziest things I've ever seen. Did you have a SS prop or something on there? You must have hit something and it must have been fast+clean. I can't imagine anything else that would cause that. Call these guys and ask them what happened -- http://www.marineassociates.com/ -- they can also sell you a new prop-shaft. ;)

wakejmpr
07-19-2010, 05:20 PM
That's effed up right there. I've bent many a prop and even my drive shaft. I have a thread on how to change one a few pages in but it's for an 07 launch ssv which I'm sure is built differently. I've never seen anything like that. Looks almost like it was cut. The worst part is now your out a prop And a shaft which is costly. Plus if you don't undertake the repair and have to pay a dealer it's crazy expensive. Good luck because that sucks and I've been there. Mine was out two weeks. Had to order the parts and repair it myself

firstdogriver
07-19-2010, 05:41 PM
I would have to go out on a limb and say there had to have been a defect in that shaft. That's a solid stainless steel shaft and should have never broke like that. That is just wrong!!!!!!

Okie Boarder
07-19-2010, 05:45 PM
:shock:

Do you have insurance?

I would agree that maybe you hit something and just didn't realize it or there could have been a defect in the shaft.

Memmer99
07-19-2010, 06:11 PM
Yeah I'm a little upset about it to tell you the truth. I'm looking at 400 bucks for the damn shaft and another 350 to 400 for another prop. What really sucks is that was a fairly new Acme prop. I've only had it out about 10 times. I just feel very lucky there is no rudder or Fiberglass damage. Can you imagine if some one was surfing when it broke.......

Okie, I have insurance but I'm not too sure if it will be worth it to call it in. I need to check my coverage. I can do all the work myself and maybe take it in to be aligned. I need to find a shaft cheaper than 400 bucks. Thats just seems outragous.

Sluggo
07-19-2010, 07:32 PM
Any chance you have a buddy with scuba experience? If you know where it happened and it is not too deep, you paying for the tanks could get your prop back. Not saying it will be in great shape, but a repair vs all new is quite a difference. Depending on the conditions it could be worth it. Several years ago we had a guy loose his glasses off the back of a houseboat. Several of the others were already going to scuba somewhere so he bought them an extra tank to help him look in 30 foot of water. Took them 30 min but a guy found them.

beast 496
07-19-2010, 10:08 PM
It has been cracked for quite awhile, Check out the rust, I would suggest the shaft was also bent. No defect seen in any of the photos. Al

rludtke
07-19-2010, 10:14 PM
It has been cracked for quite awhile, Check out the rust, I would suggest the shaft was also bent. No defect seen in any of the photos. Al

I agree, I suspect the shaft was fractured for some time before the separation event. Have you had any propstrike history in the past?

Memmer99
07-19-2010, 10:29 PM
The prop fell off in the Delta. For anyone who has never been there the water is so dark that calf deep you can't see your toes. We call it the dirty D but it's some of the best boarding in California. Miles and Miles of channels some of them are even 1 way. Fman should know what I'm talking about.

Anyone know if JT Nettle sells prop shafts? I'll give him a call tomorrow. If anyone knows where I can get one cheaper than $380 please let me know. A friend of mine is going to let me borrow an old prop but if I can't find a decent price on a shaft my season may be over. Thanks guys!!

wakejmpr
07-19-2010, 11:05 PM
Paid 390 new for mine brand new straight from the dealer. Don't know of a place to get a rebuilt and honestly don't know that I would trust a rebuilt one if it can even be done. If it doesn't spin true it's going to vibrate like a mofo. You might have to get a new one.

wake beater
07-19-2010, 11:30 PM
had the exact same thing happen to me last year,doing about 10 miles an hour.no ballasts nothing just had left the marina ,prop sunk over 120 ft deep.luckily we just kept jumping off the swim grid in the direction we wanted to go.call Jim at Viper,great price and service was unreal...2 days shipping from Tennesee to Kamloops ,British Columbia at my door ....Jim told me they had a bad batch of shafts in 1990,mine is a 91 but..

wotan2525
07-20-2010, 11:39 AM
The prop fell off in the Delta. For anyone who has never been there the water is so dark that calf deep you can't see your toes. We call it the dirty D but it's some of the best boarding in California. Miles and Miles of channels some of them are even 1 way. Fman should know what I'm talking about.

Anyone know if JT Nettle sells prop shafts? I'll give him a call tomorrow. If anyone knows where I can get one cheaper than $380 please let me know. A friend of mine is going to let me borrow an old prop but if I can't find a decent price on a shaft my season may be over. Thanks guys!!

Did you call Marine Associates? They were the original OEM on all these shafts (and still are...) I don't remember what I paid for a new one but I know it wasn't $400. I think I bought a new-style shaft with coupler and had my strut straightened with new bearings for around $300. (but this was a few years ago....) Explain what happened and maybe they'd hook you up with a trade-in or deal?

wotan2525
07-20-2010, 11:41 AM
Also -- I just remembered that I have my old one kicking around in my garage. The key-way is worn (would still work, I'm sure) but I did have it straightened and balanced by marine associates about 5 years ago and believe that it is still true. I haven't had the heart to throw it away but it's just taking up space. $25 + shipping and it's yours. Send me a PM.

Memmer99
07-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Wotan, Your the man I appreciate the offer! I ended up calling Jim over at Viper and he hooked me up for $275. I didn't try Marine Associates because Jim picked up the phone on the first ring. I'd say that's rare and considered it a sign of good luck. I'll document my progress.

Thanks again for everyones comments!

jet
07-21-2010, 08:38 AM
Beast is right, it was CRACKED. I had the same thing happen a long time ago. The rust spot shows that its been there for a while. I went to a machine shop and had them build one, I think I had mine build for $200?? you have to call the factory nd get the measurements. Mine was like 1"x30 something" and then there is a 3rd measurment?? Jet

techsledder
07-21-2010, 03:22 PM
....Jim told me they had a bad batch of shafts in 1990,mine is a 91 but..
Whoa wait... what? Seriously? That blows for me an my 1990 SS. His failed after 20 years of service too, seems odd to me that it would have lasted that long if it was a "bad batch issue" and it was destine to fail.

Memmer99
07-21-2010, 03:22 PM
I think you guys are right. I pulled the old shaft last night and I can see where the crack was. I bet it was a combo of the log I hit last year with my old prop and beaching the boat. I'll never beach an inboard again. so the strut looks good and the bearings look pretty good considering they are 20 years old. I guess it couldn't hurt to change them out.

On another note I noticed my rudder has a bit of play in it. can I just tighten the bolt in the bildge to fix that?

techsledder
07-21-2010, 03:33 PM
On another note I noticed my rudder has a bit of play in it. can I just tighten the bolt in the bildge to fix that?

rudder > I have play in mine as well. I think you have to lift up on it and make sure the unit is snug against the the thru-hull and then tighten down the first nut into the packing then the locking nut.

Any chance you could take a close up picture of the prop straight on to the fracture? So I can see the cross section... and see the crack propagation...