PDA

View Full Version : New Ski Platform

chrisk
07-19-2010, 03:28 PM
I want to create a new ski platform for my 85 sun sport. I'm thinking I want to make it a half-circle shape. I just really want something that has a lot of depth because they didn't make the platforms big enough on those generation boats in my opinion. To make it deeper, however, it needs to have the rounded corners to avoid dragging in the water. Anybody with experience? ideas?

mapleleaf
07-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Geez, I've the wood for a year now......I wanna do the same thing I just keep putting it on the back burner......

chrisk
07-20-2010, 12:32 AM
where did you get the wood? I'm assuming you're using teak?

jdholco
07-20-2010, 07:52 AM

i had a cabinet maker in town agree to make me one, and he suggested using Brazillian cherry, then treating with tung oil - a much cheaper alternative to Teak. Unfortunately by the time i decided to pull the trigger he had gone out of business.

87SunSportMikeyD
07-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Several people have built their own. Hematoma did I think. You can also check ski-it-again.com for people selling platforms.

mapleleaf
07-20-2010, 05:08 PM

lumber supplier up here in Ontario, I'm actually going to use Willow and see how it goes, same kinda of properties as teak at a fraction of the cost. It won't kill me if it doesn't work, just like the grain in the Willow better.

Hematoma
07-20-2010, 06:36 PM
I made my own, I used my buddies platform from his Epic as a pattern. I used 3/4 ply sealed with Thompsons water seal. I Epoxied the bolts flush then bed-lined it with about 4 layers/coats of bed liner. 2 seasons and its just fine.

If I had to do it again? It would be alot smaller. We removed it to see how much it influenced the surf wake. Well it's getting re done if that tells you anything. It's a combination of the brackets and how big it was.

87SunSportMikeyD
07-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Hema have you thought about just putting risers between the brackets and the platform? Raise it a couple inches and it may be out of the wake.

Hematoma
07-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Hema have you thought about just putting risers between the brackets and the platform? Raise it a couple inches and it may be out of the wake.
Yea Mikey we are gonna make it a bit smaller and put a lift kit on it lol. with all the weight on the corner it was dragging bad. We have our test deck on now which is half of the deck, havent been out since I started shaping these boards. Still need some R&D.

chrisk
07-21-2010, 02:21 AM
Yeah if I build one I was going to make it a semi-circle pattern to avoid that problem. Do you think that would help?

Hematoma
07-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Yeah if I build one I was going to make it a semi-circle pattern to avoid that problem. Do you think that would help?Chrisk, thats the direction I'm headed in. I think that will be the least work with the most improvement.

chrisk
07-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Cool, keep me posted on how it goes for you with pics and whatnot, I'm real interested in this.