PDA

View Full Version : Slow to start....

wotan2525
07-19-2010, 05:05 PM
With all of the problems my boat has had over the years, it's never been slow to start. At times it's been impossible to start but this season I have a new issue.... it cranks for 5-10 seconds before it fires up (whether it's warm or not.) It always fires up but I'm wondering if it's a symptom of something else being wrong... Once it starts, it runs great. I know 5-10s is minor but when I'm used to it firing up on the first crank I start to worry.....

87 454 with an electric fuel pump and the holley swapped out with an edelbrock.

rludtke
07-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Its hard to be sure, but this could be indicative of the fuel pump slowing down, or the ignition developing a weaker spark. I don't think it is a problem yet... If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;o)

dshaff24
07-21-2010, 09:09 AM
my 86 351 was like this, I don't know which one resolved the problem but I put a high tq starter - new battery - electric ignition - new plug wires and now she fires up as soon as i hit the key,

And i mean it would crank and crank and crank then finally fire upand now it barely gets a crank in and its running!

saltare inverts
07-21-2010, 01:46 PM
I agree with dshaft. One other problem that he didnt mention I see alot on here is main cables that run to the battery. They get worn at ends and dont look bad atr all by battery or by starter. If you bend them and they make cracking noises time to replace.

wotan2525
07-21-2010, 01:59 PM
All my wiring is either 00 or 0 with gold plated heavy-duty car-audio terminals and has all been redone in the last few years. Batteries are all new last year and left on a 3-bank charger for maintenance year round. Starter is a few years old but doesn't seem to be slowing down (I'll make a note on this one, though...) I have electronic ignition but maybe it's due for a new cap/rotor. My boat has a regular HEI distributor on it and the cap or rotor seems to occasionally get corrosion on them. Didn't even think of replacing it this year as I did it twice last year.