PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a bilge pump, saltare

Ptownkid
07-19-2010, 06:28 PM
So the model of bilge pump in my 1992 saltare is discontinued, which means I can't get the same one and snap it into the base that is already installed. What are the bases screwed into? Do i need to fill the old screw holes? Is there anything I need to consider when screwing the new base in?

mapleleaf
07-19-2010, 10:04 PM
I added a float switch to mine this summer and went through the same thing.
I pulled everything out for a cleaning, held my breath and placed the float close to the pump where I knew I wouldn't screw through the hull.....it was a calculated guessbased on the hull and bilge shapes differing......

OLDSCHOOL85
07-20-2010, 09:08 AM
I put a second back up bilge with a float in mine and was terrified to screw into the hull, so used an epoxy and it has worked well so far.

Supra-in-steamboat
07-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Agree with Oldschool- epoxy will work fine. If you want to use screws, i'd keep them under one inch. You can plug the old holes with a variety of chemicals. I used fiberglass on mine. Available from Wal-Mart for @$6-12 bucks and pretty easy to use- get a good mask. I'm sure some epoxy would also work well. Shop-vac any water out and fan dry first. Good luck with the project.

Ptownkid
07-20-2010, 10:20 AM
I think I may just glue in a piece of base material for piece of mind...

saltare inverts
07-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Yea I would glue also. I opted to put two pumps in mine. One worked on auto one on manual. Felt good to have two pumps if ever needed or one back up if one failed.

wotan2525
07-20-2010, 02:03 PM
I also have two pumps in mine that I replaced/upgraded this spring. For some reason my Sahara auto is only 3 months old but it's too weak to push water through the line.... I'm using a regular Tsunami as a backup and glad I have two pumps!