PDA

View Full Version : Squeal Coming From Stuffing Box?

V-watersports
07-19-2010, 11:50 PM
HELP! I recently purchased a 1991 Supra Mariah am experiencing a squeal coming from the rear of the boat when slowing down to a stop, after pulling the shifter into neutral. I have adjusted the stuffing box to the point where the water is pouring into the boat, and it still does it. Can you grease it, or is there another option for where the sound may be coming from? I can't be sure that it is from the stuffing box. I also disconnected the prop-shaft from the tranny and repeated the test. This time no noise. So it is definitely something to do with the prop shaft. There must be another part that could be squealing? any ideas?

OUI
07-20-2010, 10:41 AM
It could be your strut bearing.

91impulse
07-21-2010, 09:10 AM
I have the same exact issue right now. We have tried everything possible with the wet packing (stuffing box) that we could think of. New rope, grease, synthetic rope, more grease. The strut bearing and all that underneath the boat is fine. I believe we have narrowed it down to the bearing on the back of the transmission. When I shift to neutral its like the transmission won't stop the prop shaft from spinning for like +/-10 seconds thus producing this squeal. Does your prop shaft keep spinning for a few seconds after you pull it in neutral? Also, from reverse to neutral there is no squeal and the prop shaft stops instantly. How about yours?

V-watersports
07-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Yes everything yours is doing mine is doing as well.What i did was take the stuffing box apart and noticed that the shaft itself was rubbing on the brass fitting that it passes through.I took the boat past my local mechanic and he suggested that i adjust the mounts to lift the tranny slightly.It only took about an eighth of an inch to get the shaft off the fitting.Im going to water test it this morning to see if that helped,i will post results later today.Thanks for your input.

csuggs
07-21-2010, 02:07 PM
I have the same exact issue right now. We have tried everything possible with the wet packing (stuffing box) that we could think of. New rope, grease, synthetic rope, more grease. The strut bearing and all that underneath the boat is fine. I believe we have narrowed it down to the bearing on the back of the transmission. When I shift to neutral its like the transmission won't stop the prop shaft from spinning for like +/-10 seconds thus producing this squeal. Does your prop shaft keep spinning for a few seconds after you pull it in neutral? Also, from reverse to neutral there is no squeal and the prop shaft stops instantly. How about yours?

Once you put the boat in neutral, it is still drifting so the prop will be turning in the water - free-wheeling if you will. Mine makes the same noise, sometimes. It's almost like a harmonic squeal being transmitted along the prop shaft to the motor. It doesn't do this too often but sometimes. I know others have experienced the same thing. Not sure if it's something to be concerned about or not . . .

Oh, and I do not have the original stuffing box around my shaft. I have a PSS type shaft seal so I'm guessing that the stuffing box has nothing to do with the noise.