PDA

View Full Version : 86' Sunsport Prop

mainesunsport
08-10-2004, 09:47 AM
Currently I own an '86 Supra Sunsport with a 13" brass prop. It was just damaged and I need to replace it. I do not have the original documentation and am looking for the replacement info, particularly the pitch. Can anyone help me?
Thank you in advance.
John

Juice75
08-11-2004, 05:08 PM
I don't know what the stock specs are, but if you contact Bill Weeks at ACME Marine (www.acmemarine.com, 1-888-661-ACME), he can recommend a better prop for you. I'm looking to replace my prop, and all the research I've done points me towards ACME. Bill is a great guy, and really knows his stuff.

Salty87
08-14-2004, 06:57 PM
i second that recommendation

aepike1
05-05-2005, 09:24 AM
I agree that there are better performance props out there. I have almost completed a full restoration of my '86 Sunsport skier, and are looking to upgrade my original prop. (I have set up my boat for hardcore wakeboarding. If you absolutely want to go back with original equipment, I'll sell my to you for a hundred bucks. It has zero dings and in great condition. I can certainly send pics to you if interested.

DKJBama92Mariah
05-05-2005, 10:37 AM
John,

Please don't take offense if you already knew this. Unless the prop is BADLY damaged (i.e., a blade knocked off or badly out of track), any reputable prop shop should be able to repitch and balance it to like new condition. I get mine done at least once a season and it makes worlds of difference. The lake that i ride on has alot of sticks and trash that are murder on a prop. It usually costs me anywhere from $50 to $80, but well worth it. If you can go through the deal with aepike1, the poster above, put his prop on your boat, get your old one straightened, and keep it as a spare. That way, if you bend a prop, you're not out of business for a week while the prop is getting fixed. Good luck and have a great season.

Cheers,
DKJ

JFP
05-05-2005, 12:52 PM
AEPike1,

What all did you do to restore your boat? Any pics? I have the same boat and would love to hear/see what you've done.

aepike1
05-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Right now, I have just finished the paint, and will have the last coat coat of clear tomorrow evening. My floor was shot!!!! I have taken everything down to the hull and am going up from there. I have painted it solar yellow ('04 Hummer color). It looks awesome. I am getting custom dark royal blue graphics to match the blue piping on my upholstry. Mechanical and structural, There are several improvements that I have done that I believe to be significant. Installed dual cly 18" trim tab, fat sacs, monster tower wakeboard tower, dual batteries, (moved to front for better balance when not pulling) 4 blade prop(if you buy mine), all new chrome gauges, new grey carpet, too much stereo stuff to list. As for the floor, it is a story in and of itself. The floor was shot, half of the stringers shot. the support under fiberglass that makes up interior walls - non-existant. I own a steel shop so some of the improvements are cool to me. I press broke (bent/formed) galvanized sheet into support shapes to reinforce the bad stringers and completely support the perimeter. Of, course this is after I removed ALL foam (was holding probably 1000 lbs of water. I plan to re-foam after I get engine back in and install all new electronics, etc. and test. I'll try to keep you posted on the progress. I hope to be on the water by memorial day!!(good luck to me) I have some progress pictures, but I am computer illiterate and have no idea how to post on here. I'm lucky to have 10 people in my office that can turn my computer on for me. I'm more of a hands-on guy. If you did decide to buy my prop, I'll take several close-up pics so you can see it. I think it is in great shape . I lifted the boat up with my overhead crane and could not see ANY noticible imperfections. I do not know much about props, but as I was feeling for any nics, I found out that it is sharp! The reason I was looking for a 4-blade is that I'm 6'3" and 250 and I would rather sacrifice some top end to get a better holeshot. The boat seemed to pull great last season (even though I had so much weight soaked into my floor) I do pride myself on being an ethical guy, so, If you want my prop after you see the pics, I'll sell it to you for $100 delivered to your house.(i'll pay freight your way) If for ANY reason you dont like it or want it (before you install of course), i'll give your your money back. Anyway, glad to see someone else out there with an '86. I love all the teak on the old boats.

Jamie