PDA

View Full Version : Minor Bow Damage

jaywidhalm
07-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Well, after all the years I've had on boats, I had to wait until I got a new expensive one to come into the dock just a tad too fast!! The bow, right under the bow light hit a metal rail, and chipped off a piece of the gel coat...about the size of a quarter. Soooo disappointed in myself. This heavy boat doesn't slow down as fast in reverse as my old 18 ft I/O...thats for sure. Took it to a glass shop, they said about $250. Does this sound reasonable? Seems like a lot for what it its. It is only the gelcoat, no fiberglass damage. But, I know this type of work is expensive...the good news is that they said they could have it done in time for me to be back on the water by the weekend. What do you think?

tg0824SSVGG
07-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Ouch - but still, I think that's probably ball park for the repair, and you can't beat the
speed!

wotan2525
07-20-2010, 02:05 PM
I don't think any fiberglass repair is ever less than $250... sounds fair to me. You could easily patch it yourself for less but I'd hope any shop that would handle it would make it look brand new again. A DIY will almost surely look patched.

tg0824SSVGG
07-20-2010, 02:42 PM
I just talked to my glass guy about a ding in the gelcoat (from a rock, even though I have
rock tamers on the truck) - about the size of a dime, he said "$125" to make it perfect.

So - 250 for what you did sounds about ballpark.

jaywidhalm
07-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Well, that makes me feel a little better. Don't feel like I am getting to "taken" at least. Live and learn....then pay!! I'll post pics of the repair once done. Thanks again

SupraTamu
07-20-2010, 07:27 PM
I had a couple of spots about the same amount of damage when I hit below the boat buddy last fall. It was $350 for the repair so the price sounds about right. They had to remove the rub rail to do the repair but you can not even tell it was ever damaged.

Fman
07-21-2010, 01:06 AM
Jay, thats a bummer... at least you are out using the boat! I have had a couple close calls myself to getting some dock rash.... a good gel coat guy will be able to fix that with no problems.

wakejmpr
07-22-2010, 09:39 PM
feel your pain. heres a nice one. cost just under 300 to fix

jaywidhalm
07-26-2010, 08:50 PM
Got the damage fixed, $275 cash deal. Can't tell it was ever there. Happy with the results. Price seems reasonable after everyones comments. Hopefully won't have to go through that again! The guys at the shop had me back on the water by the weekend. Shout out for Precision Fiberglass in Airway Heights, WA!!

Jumpr...that looks almost identical to mine. Was that from a dock as well?

Fman
07-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Jay, nice fix... your back in the game... they did a great job.

jaywidhalm
07-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks Travis...now I go so slow into the dock it is almost annoying...oh well, its also free of expense and headache!! :)