PDA

View Full Version : WW: Wrong way to launch a pontoon (pic)

87SunSportMikeyD
07-20-2010, 04:17 PM
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781507

"this donkey tried to put his boat in while were were launching. first time ive been to a public boat launch in years, it didnt disappoint"

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5877&stc=1&d=1278890233

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781507

jaywidhalm
07-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Some of the best entertainment around is at the public launches!

sybrmike
07-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Maybe they're just trying to accomodate passenger loading/unloading...

Yes, boat ramps are entertaining - saw a guy drive right off into the lake once??

87SunSportMikeyD
07-21-2010, 11:12 AM
We drove past the landing in our boat one day and saw a pontoon on it's side. Somehow they tipped it off the trailer while launching and it was laying on it's side, on one pontoon, while the other pontoon was 12' in the air!

edgewater1
07-22-2010, 07:48 AM
i've never understood a pontoon boat, whats it function?
ski boats: pull wakeboarders/Skiers.
bowriders/runabouts:cruise/tubing?
centerconsole: fishing
bass flats: fishing
pontoon boat: to slow to ski/wakebaord. no maneuverable enough to go fishing or tubing. they can cruise but a bowrider does it better.

i work at a marina which has a public ramp and there are some crazy fights and screw ups. a guy ran is 84 mastercraft into the back of his truck bed.

KG's Supra24
07-23-2010, 02:45 PM
pontoon is for having room and relaxing. to have a boat with room for people to walk around, maybe even grill some food. If you are on a busy lake they are also much smoother. they are also great if you have kids.

I think a pontoon is the perfect boat to have in addition to an inboard. I find the run about to be the most pointless boat. It does a little bit of everything but nothing real well.

KG's Supra24
07-23-2010, 02:47 PM
of course the pontoon works much better when not on its side or halfway onto a dock.

and as for a runabout cruising much better than a pontoon. the new tritoons will run 40+ no problem. I know the big runabouts can go 50 or 60 but that is past the point of "cruising"

87SunSportMikeyD
07-23-2010, 04:26 PM
My parents have a pontoon and it is verrrrry nice on relaxing days.... Tons of room to walk around, seats 14 (bigger than MY inboard anyways hehe!) and great for partying. But I CANT WAIT to get my boat back!

csuggs
07-23-2010, 10:58 PM
Yep - I gotta agree that pontoons have a definite purpose. When we go to Summersville on Sunday we have a total of about 16 or 18 people going. My boat, two jet skis and we will rent a pontoon. They are great to take out on the lake and use as a "home base". A place for people to rest, swim, eat, etc. Then we take turns on the boat and jet skis. I wouldn't want a pontoon to be my only boat, but it would make a great second boat to use as I mentioned.

mapleleaf
07-24-2010, 09:57 PM
i've never understood a pontoon boat, whats it function?
ski boats: pull wakeboarders/Skiers.
bowriders/runabouts:cruise/tubing?
centerconsole: fishing
bass flats: fishing
pontoon boat: to slow to ski/wakebaord. no maneuverable enough to go fishing or tubing. they can cruise but a bowrider does it better.

i work at a marina which has a public ramp and there are some crazy fights and screw ups. a guy ran is 84 mastercraft into the back of his truck bed.

There's a guy on our lake with a pontoon with some sort big block I/O....you should see this thing go its hilarious, prolly not that safe but sounds good......

Mani
07-25-2010, 03:16 AM
There's a video on youtube of a guy with a 502 on his pontoon. I can't imagine there's a lot of these things around so it could be the same guy.