PDA

View Full Version : Help me buy my first Supra? (87 Saltare)

Longitudinaldreamer
07-21-2010, 01:30 AM
Hey everyone-I need some help. I have some pics of a 87 Saltare sent to me by the seller and would love some feed back. Unfortunately, to purchase I will have to drive quite some distance to pick it up and have only pics to base my initial decision on. I have scoured this forum and found some great info, however, I would appreciate any experience/advice from these pics.(I'm kinda concerned about the transom/exhaust area and motor rust- supposedly a total fresh water boat??)

Let me know if you would like to see different photos. Also, it has a 454 PCM w/ 1100 hrs...should that freak me out? Thanks in advance, Elvis.

Ptownkid
07-21-2010, 07:28 AM
I see nothing to be overly concerned about on first look...but these decisions are usually based on price.

The only thing I'd check VERY carefully would be floor/stringer integrity. Check the motor mounts to make sure that they are still solid. Prior to 1992 there will be wood stringers, which is fine if they are still solid and that you accept the fact that one day, who knows when, they will most likely need to be redone. The job is either somewhat costly, or very time consuming if you do it yourself.

You may want to do yourself a favour and pay an independent marine inspector to do an inspection for you...

michael hunter
07-21-2010, 07:49 AM
Those anodes added to the prop shaft and cavitation plate are not stock. What state is the boat located?

87SunSportMikeyD
07-21-2010, 11:08 AM
No pics of the interior or the rest of the hull? You need as much detail as possible before making the trip. Would you mind letting us know the asking price? Ask him to describe the condition of the boat in text. Personally, I look for an original interior in great condition. Anything else means it MAY have been left in the sun and/or rain uncovered. With wood stringers this is a big no-no.

Longitudinaldreamer
07-21-2010, 01:05 PM
The boat is in CA and he is asking $8k. I have a ton of interior pics and will post in a bit. Interior looks great to me-all original I'm pretty sure. Thanks for the help all!

techsledder
07-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Those anodes added to the prop shaft and cavitation plate are not stock. What state is the boat located?

Ditto! I haven't seen a "fresh water only" boat with anodes on her gear.

edgewater1
07-21-2010, 03:40 PM
it alls depends on the price

Longitudinaldreamer
07-21-2010, 04:44 PM
I agree with "it's all about the price".

That said, is his asking price of $8K in the ball park given it appears to have been used in saltwater? He is an older guy(mid 60's) and is the second owner having had it 16 years all of which he said were used only in fresh water in northern CA. "Garage kept all year with a cover". He says the motor mounts, stringers, floor, and "pylon" are "tight and sound". Attached are more pics....

Thanks everyone.....great to have help!

rideevol
07-21-2010, 07:45 PM
You might want to check under the hull around the rudder mounting area. Gelcoat cracks that have let water in can cause rot that will need to be repaired. Grab the rudder and see if the hull is solid. I will need this repair on mine.

mapleleaf
07-21-2010, 11:35 PM
A 23 yr old boat is going to come with its share of repairs, by the looks of that interior (if original) and gelcoat, that one has been cared for, that and hopefully it really wasn't run in salt water too much.....

rludtke
07-22-2010, 12:00 AM
I agree with Mapleleaf. For the asking price, I don't think the pictures look that bad. The condition of the stringers, and the functionality of all the systems needs to be assessed.

Longitudinaldreamer
07-22-2010, 12:46 AM
Thanks again for all the advice.

I found a 94 Sunsport a little closer to home and will be checking it out tomorrow. As I understand it there shouldn't be stringer issues with a 94 Sunsport? It is a sweet looking boat w/ 830 HRs. Asking 11,900.00....quite high I think especially without a matching tandem axle trailer. Anyone one have advice on price and major concerns I should be looking at with this year and model?

Ptownkid
07-22-2010, 01:18 AM
Actually...in good condition, that price is very fair. A 94 will have 100% fiberglass composite stringers. Come up with the cash and get the 94

edgewater1
07-22-2010, 07:40 AM
i think thats again its all about the price i feel the price 8k is to high for a boat that has 1100 hours and may have been in salt water. the sunsport should be great,