PDA

View Full Version : Looking for somewhere to ski

OLDSCHOOL85
07-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Im new to the Houston area and im trying to find somwhere to ski. If anyone is familiar with the Houston Texas area I need help. I would like to find somewhere between here and College Station. But I am open to all suggestions...

sybrmike
07-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Welcome to H-town.

Not a lot of pretty water around here, but for NW Houston-College Station I'd recommend Lake Sommerville up near Brenham. Undeveloped shores with several nice parks, 30 minutes W of Aggieland and 1-1/2 hours from Houston (depending where in H town you are). Usually not too crowded & can find some protected shoreline depending on the wind. The western end is usually best - Rocky Creek area if wind from the S and Birch Creek if it's from the North.

Lake Conroe is 45 minutes north of Houston. Bigger than Sommerville, but completely developed & bulkheaded shoreline south of the 1097 bridge. Great party scene, but be careful - they patrol pretty heavy. Gets crowded & rough on the weekends (watch out for 30'+ triple engine idiots). Best bet are the first 3 coves north of 1097 on the western shore, but be careful of stumps anywhere N of 1097 (just watch the boat lanes until you're familiar).

I've lost the link, but there's a wakeboard club outta Houston that seems real friendly - try a search here or google. I'm currently boatless with the rebuild, but good luck & maybe we can share some water...

OLDSCHOOL85
07-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Awesome, I appreciate all of the help. I'll probably head out to Somerville this weekend. Last weekend I took her out to the San Bernard river in Lake Jackson. Awesome water, very wide, and not a whole lot of boats. If you can get over the fact that its brackish water, its a great place to go. It wasnt hardly salty at all when I went. Just run your boat on a water hose when you get home.

sybrmike
07-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Glad you found the San Bernard. Didn't think to mention it since you were asking about NW side. Haven't been there in years, but a nice place if you don't mind the brackish water. There's also several spots on the San Jacinto river on the east side - both north and south of Lake Houston. Banana Bend area used to be a big jet boat party scene. I wouldn't bother with Lake Houston itself - shallow, stumpy, & debris.

OLDSCHOOL85
07-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Ya I heard the same thing about Lake Houston. I live off hwy6 and 288 in south Houston, so the San Bernard is very convenient. I'm heading out there Sat morning if your interested.

OLDSCHOOL85
07-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Oh damn, is your boat ready for the water yet? My boat will be full.

sybrmike
07-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Naw, I'll be lucky if she's back in the water at all this season - damn work schedule won't let up. Thanks for the invite, but I've got a date with trailer repairs and dash templates this weekend. Have fun on the river!

OLDSCHOOL85
07-28-2010, 11:59 AM
Well good luck. Maybe ill see you on the water sometime later this season.

LissyKyle
07-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Wow! Really?
Tour me there, next time I come again I am hoping that you going to tell something in your visiting.

brack
07-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Guess ill just keep. my fingers crossed about lake Houston......if I can keep her running long enough.....

OLDSCHOOL85
07-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Brack, you need to check out San Bernard River. Smooth and pretty damn wide. Where do you usually go?

brack
07-29-2010, 10:56 PM
I just got her running in July , only taken out 4 times .....I live on the South East side of Lake Houston . Trailers not in the best shape , but it does alright going the 1/8 mile down to the Boatramp ( guess im lucky with that one ) ..... As long as you stay South of FM1960 , i have no problems with the Lake....Ive been told to stay away from the North Side of FM1960...... From what ive noticed , All of "us" kinda boats stay south and those " fish" people travel up north

1st Boat ive owned and still trying to figure her out....its been fun and trying at times...

sybrmike
07-29-2010, 11:11 PM
I hear ya, Brack. My rebuild is draaaaging on. I've given up being frustrated. Def stay south of 1960 & be careful after heavy rains - lotta junk comes down the San Jac river.

OLDSCHOOL has a nice hook up on the San Bernard - wide, winding, & usually flat. Get that trailer fixed (getting mine back from the welder tomorrow) so you can haul er up to the hill country for a weekend of some pretty water - Travis, Buchanan, LBJ, etc.

brack
07-29-2010, 11:38 PM
Since i live on the far south east side...and the boat is really new to me , im keeping it close to "home: so to speak . My new thermastat will be here on Tuseday from Skidim ( could have bought locally today , but saved 30$$ ordering from them ) and hopefully it will solve my lil problem im having .

I have most of my parts for building my new trailer and have started fabricating some of the pieces together , i need to roll the arches in my main beams and order my fenders and springs . im going to use my old axles . The plan i have is to have the new one ready ( minus the axles ) launch the boat , bring trailer back home & remove the axles and put the on the new trailer . Thats my plan anyway & we all know how polans usually go . What did you have welded/fixed on your trailer??

Hows it going with your ride

sybrmike
07-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Good luck with the t-stat. Hope that solves your current problem (always wonder what's next - it's a boat).

Structurally my trailer was o.k. - an original Randalls VIP that appears to be built like a Panzer tank with 3x5 main box beams. Unfortunately the surge mechanism for the drum brakes was shot and integrally welded to the frame. Had it cut off and modified to accept a bolt-on swing away coupler for a conversion to disc brakes. Fabricated new mounts for a Fulton F2 winch and F2 jack. Finally, added 2 additional oval cutouts for back-up lights.

Left to do on the trailer:
Replace the fenders - one is beat up beyond repair & can't find replacement oddball 7x65 sized in stock anywhere. Custom fab original is about the same price as a stock set of diamond plate aluminum that I think I can make work. Probably add some diamond plate aluminum on the steps as well for some matching bling.
Disassemble & powder coat trailer (along with windshield frame and engine pulleys)
Finish the disc brake conversion
Rewire all new LED lights (adding reverse lights)
Add spare tire carrier
New bunk lumber & carpet
Try to clean-up original rusty chrome rims (new aluminum will have to wait)

Have to pull the bottom half of the hull off the trailer for above (another garage ceiling lift like the top cap).

Stringers & floors are done - YEAH! So all new wiring and continued work on top cap, hull, and engine while the trailer is completed. Then carpet, re-join the halves, & start reassemling in earnest. Figure I'm almost half way done...