PDA

View Full Version : Boat is soaked

04Gravity
07-23-2010, 10:55 AM
So Bobbyoo's post led me to make this post. I left the cover off my boat yesterday and it started pouring last night and is still pouring right now. Just went outside to look at it and it is completely The rear seats weigh about 25 lbs a piece.

Its going to continue to rain for the rest of the day. Should I go cover it? Or since its already soaked just leave it alone? I pulled my head unit out in the middle of the night and put it in a bag of rice to let it dry out. The plugs are all out so its not collecting water.

Reason Im afraid to cover it is I dont want it to mold and mildew. Its about 84 degrees out

ScottnAz
07-23-2010, 11:10 AM
What's the weather look like for the next couple days?
I'd, personally, cover it, and don't think you'll have a mold/mildew issue that quickly if it stops raining tomorrow and you can remove the cover to dry it out. At the very least cover it, and leave the back open for venting purposes.
What about bringing the removable cushions inside the house, or back porch, and opening the center locker seat so water won't sit on the cushion, but rather run off it.

jzelt
07-23-2010, 12:25 PM
I would cover it (to keep the rest out). Take a shop vac and/or rags/towels and suck up the worst and put a (few) box fans/dehumidifier in it.
Make sure you lift all your movable seats and tilt them on an angle so they can dry.

This is what I would do to take care of it. I hate having any water in my boat if I can help it.

04Gravity
07-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Just went out and covered it. Will do the cleanup tomorrow. Thanks guys!

wotan2525
07-23-2010, 02:05 PM
I can't say what's right or wrong for you... but... I personally think a boat is made to get wet and a little water won't hurt anything as long as you let it dry out. I went and rode on Weds... as always after surfing the boat was soaking wet. I knew it was going to rain so my choices were to a) cover it.. this will keep new moisture out but trap the old moisture inside for a few days. b) leave it open... this let it get rained in, but also let it quickly dry out the next day when it was sunny and warm.

I decided to leave the cover off and let it get rained on and then let it dry out. I do this more often than not. The only downside is that I have trees over my driveway and they drop leaves and shit all over the boat during a rainstorm.... It requires about 15-20 minutes of cleaning and vaccuuming and it looks as good as new (as long as it dries!!)

Memmer99
07-23-2010, 02:42 PM
I bought a 30 foot tarp at Walmart. When we get unpredicted rain I'll just throw the tarp over the tower and bungee the corners to the trailer. The tower creates an A frame and the water just rolls right off.

jet
07-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Just pull your cover all the way to the trailer pylons, that keeps the sun off of it for the day and also lets the moisture out while drying.