PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Supra Sunsport Questions

tshirtdeal
07-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Hi guys and gals,

I am a total newbie to all this, just learning you can wakesurf without a tow rope.. I am an old school surfer who had to leave the waters many years ago and the addiction has never left me, now live on a nice lake and HAVE to get involved in this.

Unfortunately the economy has beaten me up real bad, but trying to get an old Supra Sunsport. I always wanted a boat but know zero, zilch and nada about them at all...

I found an 86 Sunsport for 3K with trailer, the guy says there is no floor rot but he does not know what stringers are.... Is it possible to get a boat like this for 3k that will not have tons of problems? What are the major problems I can run into as well as costs? Can you get years of problem free boating/wakesuring from these old boats or are they usually money pits and tons of work?

Also, can someone please tell me what questions I should ask this guy? I am already talking to him but need to drive 10 hours to see/test drive... so I would like to assure it is even worth it for me.

Boat is in the water, runs and he says in good shape for how old it is, he is using it and has been...

Thanks for any help, I gotta do this even if I take out an equity loan on my house :)

Okie Boarder
07-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Definitely find out more about the condition and how it runs. Have him send tons of pictures and even a video clip or two.

You want to know that the engine is in good shape and he maintained it well. Ask him about compression, how smooth it runs, how often he has done maintenance, etc.

When you go to look at it, you will want to check the condition of the stringers so you know what you're dealing with. The stringers could be ready for replacement now or down the road, but it will be inevitable, so it's good to understand what kind of timeframe you would be looking at.

tshirtdeal
07-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Thanks Okie... appreciate it...

He did state that it had been taken very well care of and is in good condition for it's age... I will ask your questions... main thing I am worried about is the stringers/floor rot because it is a job I cannot do and sounds like one I can't afford to pay for to have done right now....

any other advice/experience greatly appreciated....

tshirtdeal
07-23-2010, 03:33 PM
here are some pics... i know you can't really base much overall on them but just general opinion on if it looks pretty good/well kept? Or any thoughts on what you pro owners think?

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/8254666/aview/boat007.jpg

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/8254666/aview/boat008.jpg

87SunSportMikeyD
07-23-2010, 04:00 PM
Hey Tshirt - Looks like you've got the bug pretty bad. There's only one cure! The SunSport kicks up a great wave, check out my vids. Yes you can have years of boarding for not much repair/restoration if you check the condition of the floor and stringers. They are wooden boats so EVENTUALLY it will need the wood replaced.

From the pics, I can see the interior is original and in good condition. I can only see one visable tear. The hull looks good too. So this tells me the boat has likely been covered and not left in the sun/rain.

IMO, the next step would be to verify the condition of the floor and stringers. Ask him (or go see for yourself) to walk around barefoot/socks and tell you if there are any soft spots in the floor. Then ask him to check the bolts that mount the motor to the stringers (the support structure under the floor that keeps the hull stiff). The bolts should be snug and not stripped. If you do not wish to invest $3-4k in floor /stringer restoration, then this is the dealbreaker. Unless you can talk him down even more.

Best of luck!

tshirtdeal
07-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Hey Mikey,

Yeah i got it pretty bad lol, the last year I have been resdearching how to try and build a wavepool or something like a Flowbarrel haha... So this is pretty sweet, never knew it existed... Tow waked one time years ago and had fun so I know this is so much better...

Your advice is well taken, I think that is what it will come down to... if the stringers and floor are in good shape I think It is the best I am gonna find for the price... Just sucks he don't know anything about the stringers because it will be a 12 hour trip for me to check it out...

Waiting for him to get back in touch...

rludtke
07-23-2010, 09:36 PM
HI Tshirt,

I think you may have found a good bargain. Even if you have to do stringer repairs in a year or two, this boat looks like it is worth investing money into. $3000 now, and $1500 to $3000 later to pay someone to redo the stringers over a winter may still be less than what the boat would be worth after the stringer repairs are complete. I would put this boat with good stringers and good interior, and generally turn key condition between $8,000 and $10,000. So I like it. You can get into it for a little, use it, and then fix it, and keep using it, and fix it some more... join the club!

tshirtdeal
07-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply... I think I found a good deal as well and I seached pretty good... I would love to get into this boat and I actually want to learn and get invloved with a little restoration project because I enjoy that type of thing. But I know already the stringer/floor job is way to much for me to take on.

I want exactly what you say, be able to get the rest of this season and next season out of it then if need be pay out the stringer job.

Are most of these boats running on original engines and transmissions without problems? How much would a new trans or engine cost if need be?

Thanks for the help guys, so envoius of what you are doing and will be in the club or die trying :)

csuggs
07-23-2010, 10:32 PM
tshirt - everyone who has posted here is right. $3k is a good price. If the stringers are good it's a great price. With the 80's Supras though, it's usually just a matter of time . . . the stringers WILL need to be replaced. Interior is definately original which is good for you because that most likely means that no one has mucked with things. Even if you buy it and spend 5-8k in the next year or two, it's a good deal as long as the motor is good. The motors are pretty bulletproof unless neglected - but that boat does not appear to be neglected like some we've all seen.
Good luck and welcome to the club!

I was noticing the difference in windshield. Mine is also an 86 Sunsport Skier. I'm told that many times the dealers installed the windshields and I guess there were different ones available?

tshirtdeal
07-23-2010, 10:40 PM
@csuggs

ahh, I see what you mean... on the sides of the boat? How in my pics they seem to run down longer?

That actually leads to another question I meant to ask... Are all of these pretty much sold the same or were their a lot of upgrades for them on the model?

TIA

rludtke
07-23-2010, 11:08 PM
I wonder if you could take that portion of the windshield structure off at the rear of the side glass?

How many hours on the engine? I don't think it is uncommon for the 351 to see 1000-1200 hours, but at that number it it might be a little tired. 600-800 hours is probably the average for boats of that age.

Mani
07-24-2010, 08:28 AM
My 86 SS has the same as Scugg's windshield. When I bought mine it had over 1300 hrs. on it, and burned a little oil. If the hour gauge is high, you're probably looking at a rebuild in the near future.

tshirtdeal
07-25-2010, 12:32 AM
Dahm, I am depressed...

He sold it before I could get up there to check it out... I kind of figured that because I am so far away and could'nt even plan to check it out till next weekend....

If anyone knows of a good deal on one of these boats let me know... I am willing to trade my web design and web site search engine optimization skills in exchage as well...

Thanks for all the help guys!

rludtke
07-25-2010, 12:36 AM
That's to bad T. I guess I am not surprised considering the low price.

tshirtdeal
07-25-2010, 12:53 AM
Hey Rick,

Yeah, I'm not surprised either, I just could not buy it now without him not even knowing what stringers are... in hindsight perhaps I should have and even if it had stringers needing replacement asap worked on it over the winter...

at the same time I really don't want to get into one of these needing instant stringer repair... I want to have some fun first :)

The search will continue....

87SunSportMikeyD
07-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Well we have been having some problems with my engine lately and just in case my dad was pricing out new motors and it seems the 351 is very common, only about $1000 - 1500 for a whole used motor. About the only big engine problem to be concerned with is making sure the cylinders are not damaged or cracked which is the end of the engine. The boat may still idle well, but opening the throttle up SHOULD reveal these problems, but not nessecarily. THat is why many people do whats called a compression test where they use an air compressor to be sure the cylinder is sound. A mechanic can do this or you can do it yourself. I did not do this before purchasing my boat. I am having it done now as we try and isolate engine symptoms at $50/hr.

JAKE HIGDON
07-26-2010, 12:15 PM
hey im new to the site but not new to the mechanics of boating i just bought a supra 85 comp for 3800 so it is very possible to find deals when ppl get tired of the upkeep. make sure to check the compression of the engine . check for water leaks from freeze plugs . make sure bilge pump works check the oil (of coarse) and if it has a 4 barrel carb on it pull the breather off while running and see if the back to barrels are dripping gas if so youve got trash in the carb most likely check the blower to make sure it works and all gauges. but for 3000 you may have to fix or rebuild alot of this stuff good luck.

DintyMo
07-28-2010, 09:37 AM
I bought a 1985 Sunsport last year for $5k. Greatest purchase I've made. I was new to wakeboard and wake surfing and have totally caught the bug. At that kind of price it's hard to go wrong as long as its not a lemon. Had to put $500 +/- into it during the offseason, but no big deal.

I just agreed to buy a 2003 Supra and am selling the 1985 Sunsport. Tshirt, Where do you live?