PDA

View Full Version : Running boat on hose

jeffreyk573
07-24-2010, 12:42 PM
I would like to know just how high of RPM I could run my '92 Saltare on a garden hose. I have the through hull hose adapter which was installed by a
previous owner. Engine is the 454, and it has the Pro-Tec Electronic ignition.
I have a really bad miss that starts at 2000rpm, below that, engine runs fine.
Can I rev the motor that high on the hose to test if what I'm doing is working.
The closest lake to where I can put the boat in is about an hour away. By the way I had the miss on the very first outing with the boat after I bought it. It ran fine when I test drove. But after a 400 mile tow home, BAD miss.
I will appreciate any advice.

docdrs
07-24-2010, 12:46 PM
does it miss when you are in neutral at 2000rpm? if your hose will supply enough water at 2000 you should be fine but you wont have any load on your motor, to place in drive then you are spinning the shaft and the cutlass bearing wont be lubed so maybe some wd 40 and the shaft seal may heat up if you run it for too long....watch your engine temp.... .02

jeffreyk573
07-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Yes, I still get the miss at the same rpm whether I'm in gear or neutral.

Mani
07-24-2010, 07:59 PM
I use a bucket and two hoses to let it naturally draw water.

I disconnect the strainer from the transmission hose going to the trans cooler, and hook another long piece of clear hose to that portion of it, and let it run out of the side of the boat to the ground into a bucket. Then I drop a garden hose in the bucket and turn it on.

Once you turn over the motor, the engine draws water naturally and you always know if your impeller is bad or not, and I can also run it at higher RPM without destroying the impeller this way.

Just another .02

jeffreyk573
07-25-2010, 10:51 AM
Mani, I appreciate the sugestion. That sounds like it would work pretty well.
I'm not really sure where to start on finding the cause for the miss. I figure the fuel system is as good as any though. I'll drain the fuel out of the tank, and replace fuel filter on my next day off.

jdholco
07-26-2010, 01:10 PM
I use a bucket and two hoses to let it naturally draw water.
Just another .02

just did this last friday. works perfect.

JAKE HIGDON
07-27-2010, 04:27 PM
does the boat miss when it is under the regular running temp? if not your coil might be getting weak. ive even had one miss at a higher rpm because of an alternater not charging the battery enough to keep a good spark coming through the ignition lol . also pull a spark plug or two to see if they are clean. good luck !

Tony128
07-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Jdholco,
let see some more pix of the bucket set up!!!

jeffreyk573
07-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Jake, my engine only misses when it hits 2000rpm. Load doesn't seem to matter. I really think that I'm going into "Limp Mode". I have the Pro-Tec
ignition set up. No distributor, just coil packs. I should be able to start troubleshooting this thing tommorrow. I have to say that Vince at DIM put me onto this train of thought. If this is what it is, I would have to give him all the credit.