View Full Version : 1984 Supra Rider

jamesra
07-24-2010, 10:32 PM
1984 Supra Rider
20ft Open Bow
351pcm Motor
1988 Dual Axel Supra Trailer
Boat comes with a full mooring cover
It is in great shape for its age, the carb could use a cleaning, runs great but has trouble at low idle.
Located in Rochester NY
Asking $3700/bo Call 585-330-3629

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii149/Jaltavela/IMG00146-20100619-2017.jpg
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii149/Jaltavela/IMG00062-20100527-2001.jpg
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii149/Jaltavela/IMG00066-20100528-1603.jpg
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii149/Jaltavela/IMG00055-20100527-0628.jpg

jamesra
07-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Very nice boat! Where did you get that mooring cover? Willing to sell separately?

Thank you. But no sorry I'm not willing to separate it. It came with the boat.

jamesra
08-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Nobody? Is this priced too high?

87SunSportMikeyD
08-12-2010, 03:42 PM
I do not think the price is too high. You may wish to provide more detail as the the condition of the vinyl (tears?), hull (large scratches?), floor (soft spots), and if possible stringers. If you can drill a core sample and the wood is good, I would ask $5k. If the wood is wet, $2500. I would suggest posting your listing at Ian's site OnlyInboards.com using their free listings.

jamesra
08-13-2010, 10:43 AM
The seats do have some tears, they are original. I ended up pulling the floor and replacing it with marine grade pressure treated plywood. the stringers were all solid. I have it listed on onlyinboards.com and have gotten some interest but no major bites.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Most people who are looking are really concerned about the stringers. If you can provide those details in your listing it may convince someone to actually pick up the phone and call you. Write a paragraph about the condition and a paragraph about how great it is for boarding and surfing, etc. IMO people are really cautious and don't have a lot of knowledge pre-buy. Any reassurance you can give them goes a long way towards making them emotionally invested in your boat. :)

IMO the vinyl is not a huge deal, be sure to say if it's just a couple seats or whatever. But having solid stringers and a new treated floor is very good.

chautauquasun
08-13-2010, 01:24 PM
I would say the stringers are the biggest concern for most people. Your boat looks fantastic. I bought mine 3 years ago and one of the previous owners had replaced the floors but not the stringers. I know the stringers were poor when I bought it and got it for $1,900. Just did a whole stringer and floor job this winter...so I would agree with mikey you need to be able to show they are still in good condition. If they are you should have no problems asking for more.

jamesra
08-14-2010, 11:20 AM
Would a tower ad value? I was thinking about getting one anyways and just using the boat for awhile, but i wouldn't want to throw the money into it that i could use on another boat if i wont get it back out.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Yes and no. If stringer are bad, people are hesitant to raise the price no matter what it comes with. You can get a tall pole for pretty cheap, I would look into that.

cadunkle
08-22-2010, 08:30 AM
Still waiting on those additional pictures of stringers/floor around engine area and just in general of boat and trailer. I'm the guy from NJ we were emailing back and forth in June when you were asking $4000. I was interested then for $4000 and I'm still interested now for $3200.

My main concern is stringers, which you said you didn't want to remove any motor mount of transmission mount bolts to check if wood was soft or wet below. You said there was one soft spot in the floor which makes me nervous on a boat this age. Other concerns are the trailer. Condition of wheel bearings, rust, no bow stop makes me a little nervous but I can make one. I want to be sure the trailer is up to a 6 hour trip.

Bottom line is I don't want to drive 6 hours to find a boat that looks good on the surface but has rotted floor and stringers and needs restoration. If I were to buy this it would be a hold-over for a couple years so I can save more and upgrade to a vdrive. May just drop the money for a newer Sport Nautique as you and others with older boats are shady about stringer condition and too far for me to take a casual drive out to inspect myself. Tell me the price is $1000 and I'll take my chances and come get the boat, but for $3200 I want to be sure it's good.

Also I'm sure you've seen them too but there is a boat like yours, but looks in nicer condition for $5500, and have been two others for less than that but more than yours and are no longer listed, not sure if they sold.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-24-2010, 12:37 PM
CAD the reason you do not want to REMOVE the bolts is because they could not be replaced securely in the existing wood holes. The correct procedure should be to lightly torque the bolts to make sure they are firm and not stripped, rotted out or freely spinning bolts. To test the stringers, you want to take a tiny drill bit and drill a test hole and examine the wood that comes out. Then patch the test hole with marine epoxy.

The floors should be felt carefully with bare feet or a small screwdriver to tap for soft wood.

I personally would have no problem doing a stringer test hole if I were selling my boat. But I would never make any kind of guarantee or statement saying my stringers are perfect. Unfortunately that is pretty much up to the buyer and what kind of risk you are comfortable with to get an outstanding deal on an inboard. Seriously there is no nicer boat at a cheaper price than this. You run the same risks on a SN2001 model unless you buy into the mid-1990s Sport Nauty (same years as a SunSport) to get composite materials.

I drove five hours for mine, checking floors, stringers, compression test were not done for me and my price was significantly higher although it was in great condition. Hope this might help....

jamesra
08-27-2010, 01:59 PM
I was not being shady. I didn't want to pull the bolts for the reason that mike had mentioned. The reason the boat is priced so low is because it is not perfect and the price has gone down as the season has gotten shorter. I, like mike had also mentioned cannot guarantee stringers that I haven't seen on a boat that is 26 years old. If you want a boat that's perfect than pony up and spend 20k. But don't knock my boat or call me shady. It sounds to me like you are being very picky in your price range. If you want to drill a hole in the stringer that's ok with me. You said you were going to be up in this area anyway and that you might stop by and check it out and I left it at that. This boat does its job and at the price its at now its probably worth more in parts, I I couldn't bring myself to part out a perfectly good boat. I've been using it all summer, so I can't tell you that it does serve its purpose well.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-27-2010, 06:53 PM
My thoughts exactly. Best wishes bro.

svahle
09-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Good grief! It is very tough to find a running inboard, with a trailer and what looks to be a nice mooring cover at this price point! Jamesra, I think you have priced this boat very competitively. Unfortunately, the boat buying season has basically come to a close.

I've sold probably a dozen ATVs, a boat, and a few vehicles online. I've also purchased nearly as many of each online. If I had any suggestion it would be to slick the boat and trailer up and take MANY pictures. If there are some minor things that need attention, go ahead and take care of them. I try to take pictures with a nice background and surrounding. Then I sit down and make a list of every feature I can think of and also any parts that have been recently replaced, etc. My experience is that presentation and communication are of paramount importance when selling bigger ticket items online.

Good luck with the sale and hopefully you'll find a buyer soone. Take care.

cadunkle
09-06-2010, 08:57 AM
For what it's worth I ended up buying a Supra from another fellow down South of me. He communicated well, answered all my questions, sent additional pics of what I requested, even met me halfway between us and we worked out a deal and sea trial. Smooth pleasant transaction.

ligboozer
09-06-2010, 08:22 PM
For what it's worth I ended up buying a Supra from another fellow down South of me. He communicated well, answered all my questions, sent additional pics of what I requested, even met me halfway between us and we worked out a deal and sea trial. Smooth pleasant transaction.

Congrats. Now quit mucking up this this thread and go use your new toy.

03bamaGT
09-06-2010, 08:55 PM

No one cares...GLWS OP. Seems to be a very competitive price, get some good pics, and hopefully she gets sold soon.

jamesra
09-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Thank you All. I"m glad you were able to find a boat. I will probably just end up cleaning it up, winterizing it and throwing it up for sale again in the spring. I'm not desperate to sell, and don't need the money from it. Just looking to upgrade now that I know i love inboards and I live 5 minutes from a lake I figure i could invest a little more in a boat.