PDA

View Full Version : Tower Speaker Distortion

bmXXXboy1488
08-13-2004, 11:28 PM
Ok here's my problem-
I have 2 new tower speakers, and today when I used them, a loud buzzing sound came out of them. This sound was not affected by the volume of the stereo; even though I had the volume down to 0, the same harsh sound came out.

When I had more time to fiddle around with it, somehow I got music to play out of them, but it is buggy and distorted. I checked the connections and they are all hooked up correctly.

I doubt it is the AMP because our amp powers the sub too, and that works just fine, as well as all the regular boat speakers.

I thought I would take it in to CarToys to have them check it out (bleeechhh), but I thought that mabye someone could help me out beforehand.

Anybody?

Salty87
08-14-2004, 06:55 PM
you say 2 new tower speakers, are these the first tower speakers or replacements?....has the wiring worked before?

the sound you describe sounds like the rca cables touching each other or grounding out somewhere.

it def. sounds like a wiring issue. what did you fiddle with and how did it sound distorted? what kind of gear are you running and how's it wired?

i'd check the rca's and grounds closely.

08-17-2004, 11:19 PM
I had a problem with my deck being grounded and powered from the fuse block under the dash. so i ran the deck ground and power to the designated power cables from the battery to my amps, since my amps were right at the drivers feet it was simple. no more buzzing. i'm guessing it only happens in the tower speakers because they are amplified more. The sub probably has a low pass cross over and that is drowning it out. If you have it set up this way, that might be the problem. on mine every time i would start the boat the speakers would pop. thats why i changed it.

08-17-2004, 11:20 PM
I had a problem with my deck being grounded and powered from the fuse block under the dash. so i ran the deck ground and power to the designated power cables from the battery to my amps, since my amps were right at the drivers feet it was simple. no more buzzing. i'm guessing it only happens in the tower speakers because they are amplified more. The sub probably has a low pass cross over and that is drowning it out. If you have it set up this way, that might be the problem. on mine every time i would start the boat the speakers would pop. thats why i changed it.

jkcerruti
02-17-2005, 07:01 PM
I had this exact same problem and it ended up being that my deck was grounded from the factory to the ignition switch. I ran my ground to my amp, since my amp has a nice sized ground wire going str8 to the battery, it has been perfect. no more noise!

good luck

02LaunchSSV
02-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Or your new speakers are running mono due to being wired with the amp. Check speaker configuration/requirements. I had this problem with my B-530's and had to get a new amp to run tower speakers separately. Good luck in any case.