PDA

View Full Version : What would you pay for my boat?

chrisk
07-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Hey guys, I'm just interested in what people would pay for my boat. I'm having trouble deciding whether or not it's worth it to sell it now or not. Just looking for some kind of idea on what someone who appreciates these kind of boats would pay for it.

The boat is a 1985 Supra Sun Sport. It's black with custom blue and pink striping running the length of the boat. There's absolutely no evidence of the old wave logo showing through on the boat. There are no issues with the hull, the stringers were all professionally replaced around 6 years ago. The interior is immaculate, aboslutely no tears or cuts in the vinyl and no stains. It has a 351 pcm in it with 800 hours that starts EVERY time cold. Runs like a top. 3 blade 13x13 prop. 1 season old Aerial Airborne tower with two racks, mirror, and two polk audio bullet speakers. Four Sony speakers inside the boat with MTX 4 channel 100 watt amp and a JVC 12 inch sub. JVC head unit with remote. All gauges work perfect, all lights work perfectly. Open bow, with bow cover, custom snap-on cover, throw cover, stock bimini top, and black bumpers. Comes with trailer.

There's really nothing wrong with this thing, I love the boat and love the hours I've been able to put on it this summer. Throws a fantastic wake and surf wake and works great for slalom also. Tons of storage and tons of room for people with the tower.

Let me know guys, thanks for the help!

chrisk
07-27-2010, 11:40 AM
please keep in mind it hadn't been waxed in a while in this photo. Since then it's been cleaned and waxed and is shining nicely.

87SunSportMikeyD
07-27-2010, 12:43 PM
I would ask $12,500 and it's TOTALLY worth it! Oh and freaking GORGEOUS boat!

chrisk
07-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Thanks Mikey, I owe most of that to the guy that owned it before me (stringers, interior maintenance, striping), I'm doing my best to keep it in good shape though. The guy sold it to me in near perfect condition and then I put the tower on it and I'm real happy with the way it came out.

JAKE HIGDON
07-27-2010, 04:08 PM
i wouldnt pay 12'5 but wouldnt sell it for no less lol very nice boat .shouldnt have any trouble getting rid of it for 10 grand

Ptownkid
07-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Based on year...I'd say 10k is about right...but that being said, I'd try more like 12k-13k first. Problem is that your boat is definitely worth 12k+...but you need to find someone smart enough to know that and not just base it against what they consider "comparable" in the US boat market.

Why are you selling it?

chrisk
07-27-2010, 10:39 PM
Yeah that's why I wanted to ask everyone on here what they would pay, because people on a Supra forum will obviously know what it's worth rather than someone else. I'm not selling it for sure, I've just been considering it because I'd really like to get a V-drive and I'll be the first to tell you that the longer you own the boat the faster it declines in value... we'll see though, I might keep this baby until it dies, don't know quite yet.

Anyone else have a different opinion?

Ptownkid
07-28-2010, 06:59 AM
Well...it depends on your reason for wanting a vdrive. Do you have money to burn, is it a status upgrade, is the wake not adequate?

Personally, I'd rather have an older boat that I've put time and effort into that rivals a boat worth 50k for a quarter the price. Just being able to afford a new boat is nowhere close to as impressive as having taken an old one and made it bad ass!

chrisk
07-28-2010, 10:30 AM
I'm just looking at V-drives for the convenience factor, I love the comfort they give you and everybody in your boat. Plus, like I said before my current boat isn't getting any younger and no matter how much care you take it's going to start falling apart with as much as I use it (I've put around 80 hours on it just since the middle of May). I don't think there's any shame in getting a newer boat if you plan on taking just as much care for it and keeping it for years. 10 years from now a 2000-something v-drive will be close to a 20 year old boat and have the same effect on people as my boat now does. I'm not capable of buying any sort of 50k boat, I'm just looking for something reasonably priced to upgrade to and keep for a while.

Okie Boarder
07-28-2010, 11:47 AM
I would say one thing that you should consider. If you sell it, write your ad very detailed in nature explaining all the things that have been done to it to make it "restored". That will even get the uninformed guys thinking and interested.

edgewater1
07-28-2010, 12:09 PM
7,500 is what i would feel comfortable paying for it, i would list it at 9,000.
heres the nada:http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-24-38-5697-0-0-0&l=1&w=24&p=38&f=5698&m=11777&d=1600180991&y=1985&ml=S&z=21146&gc=MR&gtc=MR

the extra several hundred is for the tower and racks, it's the game anyone who over pays for there boat is being to emotional,
sorry, forgot,, when i sell a boat, car, and any other vehicle i base my price on the blue book value. which is a value based on what the that item has recently sold in your area. i don't pay to use the blue book, so i cant pull u up one right know, i have a friend who subscribes and he helps me out.
the universal trick to selling anything is set a high price and wait for someone STUPID!!!
in the current economy everything is selling at wholesale price not not above retail, no matter what anyone does to a boat it is only worth so much, aka, probably 7500

I rather think KBB Gives a fair price

chrisk
07-28-2010, 12:45 PM
No that's good, that's why I posted this up here, to get a lot of opinions on it.

I do know that seller emotions come into play a lot, people forget that they aren't selling anything more than a boat. The memories and hard work aren't included in the price.

However, sites like NADA and KBB are values given from computer generated databases that assume things like wear and tear and don't take into account that ski/wakeboard boats like this are more sought after than other kind of boats. They merely see 20ft. standard boat and assume it's the same as a Rinker, Bayliner, or any other manufacturer. The nice thing about these boats is that there is a very different, specific market for them with people willing to pay above standard values.

THAT SAID, I would have guessed around the 8-9k range anyways. Numbers above 10k kind of surprised me.

rludtke
08-02-2010, 01:32 AM
Its probably cheaper to keep her.

You know this boat from stem to stern, you know what she still needs, and how badly she may or may not need it. A new boat (either new or used) starts the learning process all over again.

This boat has a lot of good years left in her, more usage than the re-sell dollars reflect. I think she has more value in utilization than what she could be sold for on the used market. Your asking price will compete with boats much newer, and buyers will be much more comfortable buying the newer boat, even if it isn't necessarily the better boat. This is a shame because she is a really beautiful boat.

I vote for keeping her.

chrisk
08-02-2010, 09:55 AM
good point rludtke, that seemed pretty sensical

87SunSportMikeyD
08-03-2010, 03:51 PM
I dunno I would kinda argue that it is worth more than $7.5. You have to remember that NADA values are no trailer and also for only average condition. Average condition is not very good. I have seen boats prices at $3500 and they are not in very good condition at all!

When I bought my boat it was in all-original, near-flawless condition. Everything was stock, there were some mods (hydrolic wake plate, electronic ignition, etc), the vinyl was original, still soft and no tears. Hull is nearly scratch free and less that 500 hours. I paid $7500 for this. If I sold my heavily modded 87 right now I would probably not go below 10.5 but I would list her for 12 probably.

I suppose since yours is an 85 that might be a bit high for yours.

edgewater1
08-03-2010, 08:22 PM
it's a boat. i know we all love our supra's, but it's just a boat. for the most part boats are only worth so much,
A large factor is the economy,everything is selling for WHOLE SALE, not retail. right now i would take an offer for a boat you might not get another, and when you reject that offer, that offer will not be valid for long.

now my reconsidered opinion:, start at 7.5 + trailer.. at 8.5ish(i dont like to pay anything for Boats/cars even if there worth more)

trailers are a funny thing,not having a trailer devalues a boat a lot , but when you have one it is not a large price jump.

My boat was listed at 5k(91 supra sunpsort with composite stringers)
the trailer- destroyed -2000
not running -1000
Beat up -400
i paid 1.6,i put in about $400
Found out my engine is blown
so i have 2k in it , and plan on spending about 3-4k on a new/rebuilt engine.
so i still feel ahead of the game, if i plan to sell it when i'm done i would list at 7.5k, i would take an offer of 5.5-6k, if no one was willing to pay at least 5.5k i would wait and someone stupid would find it and love it and pay me 5.5k+.
But i plan to keep the boat for the next 20-30 years,

KEEEP YOURR BOATTT!!!!!!!!

dshaff24
08-03-2010, 09:37 PM
it's a boat. i know we all love our supra's, but it's just a boat. for the most part boats are only worth so much,
A large factor is the economy,everything is selling for WHOLE SALE, not retail. right now i would take an offer for a boat you might not get another, and when you reject that offer, that offer will not be valid for long.

now my reconsidered opinion:, start at 7.5 + trailer.. at 8.5ish(i dont like to pay anything for Boats/cars even if there worth more)

trailers are a funny thing,not having a trailer devalues a boat a lot , but when you have one it is not a large price jump.

My boat was listed at 5k(91 supra sunpsort with composite stringers)
the trailer- destroyed -2000
not running -1000
Beat up -400
i paid 1.6,i put in about $400
Found out my engine is blown
so i have 2k in it , and plan on spending about 3-4k on a new/rebuilt engine.
so i still feel ahead of the game, if i plan to sell it when i'm done i would list at 7.5k, i would take an offer of 5.5-6k, if no one was willing to pay at least 5.5k i would wait and someone stupid would find it and love it and pay me 5.5k+.
But i plan to keep the boat for the next 20-30 years,

KEEEP YOURR BOATTT!!!!!!!!

I hate to say it but I hang up on people whole start blabing about nada or kbb,
I sold my 1990 powerplay 454 boat for 6k over nada because of the condition of it w/ a busted windshield and I sold my celebrity status 350 mag for 5k over nada because it was in great condition and the people who bought it was the first to look at it and they looked around and said they couldn't find nothing as nice! and it was a 93 ! and to top it off I sold my 95 seadoo spx jet ski for 900 when it was blown up and nada was 1000$ for it running! Once again it was in great shape!

When people look at your boat and its in great shape, Tell them to shop around and see if they find anything else, Especially with supra's because around my area they are rare esp in good shape They always come back! when you got something rare and they want it then it will be sold!

dshaff24
08-03-2010, 09:40 PM
oh yeah, I want to see some more pictures of that boat!

87SunSportMikeyD
08-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Edge I would say you got a really great deal on your boat. Most people won't be quite so lucky.

edgewater1
08-04-2010, 06:23 PM
even with a blown engine

87SunSportMikeyD
08-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Ya 5k, plus 2500 for a new engine and installation equals 7.5k which is how much I paid for my 87 in amazing condition. That is a very very very good price for a composite boat.

edgewater1
08-06-2010, 08:25 AM
yeah it will be nice once the engine's in and trans has been rebuilt. then i'm going to do some mods: tower, ballast, new teak sim platform. then i will stop just play

chrisk
08-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Hey sorry I haven't been chiming in, I've been in BULL SHOALS for the last week. One of my best vacations yet, can't wait to go back.

Anyways, thanks for all of the input guys, I know it's always a big conversation piece when you consider whether something is "just a boat," or if it's worth more because there's a specific market for ski/wakeboard boats, for older ski/wakeboard boats, and for supra ski/wakeboard boats. Keep the ideas rollin'!

I'll try and get some more pics of the interior and whatnot

chrisk
08-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Here's some pics guys

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/chriskuecker/IMG_3681.jpg
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/chriskuecker/IMG_3680.jpg
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/chriskuecker/IMG_3679.jpg
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/chriskuecker/IMG_3678.jpg

chrisk
08-09-2010, 10:01 PM
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/chriskuecker/IMG_3677.jpg
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/chriskuecker/IMG_3676.jpg
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/chriskuecker/IMG_3675.jpg
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/chriskuecker/IMG_3674.jpg

chrisk
08-09-2010, 10:02 PM
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/chriskuecker/IMG_3673.jpg
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/chriskuecker/IMG_3672.jpg
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/chriskuecker/IMG_3671.jpg

chrisk
08-09-2010, 10:09 PM
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/chriskuecker/IMG_3132.jpg
http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/chriskuecker/IMG_3131.jpg

87SunSportMikeyD
08-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Wow she looks great! Love the paint job. PUT THE HAT ON!! :) Love the tower and the flawless original interior!!! IMO that is a big one.

sybrmike
08-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Straighten up that transom lifting ring, wontcha. Just kidding - that boat is beautiful. Concourse quality throughout: interior, engine, exterior - wowsers.

dshaff24
08-12-2010, 10:59 PM
yeah thats definity in great condition

chrisk
08-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys. I would feel a lot better about it if it didn't have a bent prop blade right now. Any of you know where I can get a 13xanything 3-blade LH 1" bore prop in a hurry? I would really like to be able to drive and pick one up either tomorrow or Saturday. I live in Northern Illinois. If you don't know of one in driving distance.. know of any good deals. I would ideally like to get a 13x11or11.5

rludtke
08-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Easy fix for a prop shop, and in my experience, far less money than new.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Call any local boat dealer and they either fix props or know who does. They need to be inboard certified by ACME or OJ.

You should be able to drive it with a bent blade no problem, as long as the vibration isn't terrible. For a used one, try ski-it-again.com or call JT at nettleprops.com they may have a used one in stock.

You have the 1:1 VelvetDrive transmission, right? Should be stamped on the trans or maybe engine. If so, and you are going to be surfing/wakeboarding, no skiing, you should aim for the ACME#913 13x10.5. It will raise your RPMS into the motor's powerband and reduce the stress on the engine. If you are still wanting to slalom or barefoot but also wakeboard and occasionally surf, try the 13x11.5. For those who really love both I would humbly recommend two props.

chrisk
08-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Yeah the vibration is pretty horrible, lol.

But, today I'll be heading to the Quad Cities where we have friends who own a boat dealership and I think they'll have a prop. I don't have a whole lot of time to waste because I had big plans this coming weekend and next week to put a whole lot of hours on the boat so I'd like to get one as soon as possible and I'm not going to be too picky about which pitch I end up with. The 13x13 worked just fine, but ideally I would want the 13x11.5 because I do both wakeboarding and slaloming.