PDA

View Full Version : A moment of silence please

bens 1985 supra sunsport
07-27-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm not sure what happened but drivng along about 15-20 mph we hit a few waves then started taking on water and in about 2 minutes we were completely under. The boat turned it self over and floated just enough to get it back on shore. Two Winch truck tried turning it back over and on to my trailor only to finsh the destruction of my baby. Has anyone ever seem anything like this before? The Game Warden it just looked like a weak spot but with a kevlar hull thats just hard to believe. Luckily no one was injured.

wakejmpr
07-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Wow. I don't even know what to say except I hope it was insured. I will take a moment while I'm out riding tonight to pay homage.

dusty2221
07-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Oh My! There surely must have been a stump in one of those waves!

iwakeboard
07-27-2010, 04:25 PM
My God what did you hit? Anything??

bens 1985 supra sunsport
07-27-2010, 04:37 PM
We really didn't feel here or feel anything hit other then hitting the waves pretty hard. We were about 100 yds from the shoreline I would think about 30 + Ft of water. I thought maybe something floating. The anchor did come up earlier and the boat was up against the shore maybe it started there.

Diggs
07-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Wow sorry to see that. Pretty boat too.

Okie Boarder
07-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Wow, sorry to see that happen to the boat. Sounds like y'all are ok? That's the most important part. I'm sure you hit something or bumped something when it went up on shore enough to start some sort of damage. Sorry to hear it! I'll be praying you will find a suitable replacement.

KG's Supra24
07-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Hope everyone was ok. Sorry to see that. You had to of hit a stump or something. Who knows.

So does the search begin for a new ride? Did the insurance company treat you pretty good? Sucks the summer is getting cut short.

Skylar18
07-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Did it happen this week? With all the rain here there has been a bunch of crap in the water.

Hope insurance takes care of you.

Ptownkid
07-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Wow...I am glad everyone is OK, but I am so incredibly sad for you...insurance?

bens 1985 supra sunsport
07-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Actually Canyon lake is very clean. I really don't think it was anything I hit but more of something that might have happened before that ended up weak in the particular area. I guess anyway. With a boat this old that I payed next to nothing for and did all the work myself I didn't even think to insure. My loss totally. I was able to find a hull of a 1986 saltare in need of a Motor tranny i will be working on in the near future. I'm not sure how the 351 will run in the larger hull but I'm going to try.

mapleleaf
07-27-2010, 06:02 PM
what an incredible story, really glad know one was hurt.... excited that the power plant will be given a second life in a new shell......

warek1814
07-27-2010, 07:55 PM
My friend launched his I/O about two foot out of the water on canyon lake. He was in the middle of the lake. Did about 6k worth of damage. I have heard many people say there are some big rocks under the surface of the water. I don't know for sure though.

Hematoma
07-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Damn that sucks, maybe you had a prior crack that went without being noticed and it just gave out. I looked under my boat one day to discover a quarter sized hole. I didn't remember hitting anything either. Did you have insurance?

Fman
07-27-2010, 10:16 PM
Glad everyone is okay, boats can always be replaced.... sorry you had this happen, hopefully insurance takes care of you and gets you back on the water soon.

saltare inverts
07-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Oh man no insurance. Dude a moment of silence from me.

cmtaylor777
07-27-2010, 11:05 PM
Damn dude. Sorry to hear that. Always a fan of insurance. Easy to say now though.

bens 1985 supra sunsport
07-28-2010, 09:35 AM
The most important thing was no one was injured. The boat will be replaced soon I'm going to look at a 1986 Saltare hull today. I was able to get all the water out of the motor and it fired right up and ran great so I'll change the oil a few more times and it should be good. The Saltare hull is a few feet longer and I know the original engine was a 454 so not sure how the 351 will run, but it was really strong so hopefully it will be fine. If anyone has any suggestions on the saltare (pros and cons) I would apprieciate the help. I haven't bought it yet but will if the guy finds the title..

sybrmike
07-28-2010, 10:38 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss - that was one fine looking boat. Obviously you had put a great deal into her. But agreed, foremost just glad everyone is o.k.

I looked at a red (well, mostly oxidized pink), engineless Saltare up near Canyon Lake last fall before I bought my current project Salt - wonder if it's the same one? If so, you can probably pick it up cheap. Originally set up for a 454, but the guy had a 350 crate that shoulda bolted in pretty easy (needed SB accessories, but still GM). Might take a little work to make a Ford fit.

During my search I saw a few late 80's / early 90's Salts listed with hi-po 351's, so think it was a factory option or switch at that time. Might have to play with the prop selection to help a small block move that beast (trade some top end for hole shot), but I think it would be fine. Other than being bigger, should just be the normal stuff to look out for like your old Sunsport. Good luck!

ScottnAz
07-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Sorry to see this has happen, it's a fear that's always in the back of my mind when I'm out there with my family. I couldn't begin to imagine going through this, glad everyone was okay.
Sounds like you've already moved on, good luck with your next project

dfred
07-28-2010, 10:46 AM
wow hate to see that happen glad everyone is ok. It looks like de-lamination of the gel and glass. looks just like my uncles boat (not a Supra), he was lucky and it started coming off after they got the boat off the water and on the trailer. Unfortantly it was not covered by insurance.

87SunSportMikeyD
07-28-2010, 11:24 AM
Very sorry to hear about it bud. Best of luck.

Mani
07-28-2010, 11:31 AM
That's terrible, man. I'm sorry to hear about this. Hope everything works out for you with the saltare hull.