PDA

View Full Version : Starter

Longhorn21
07-29-2010, 08:26 PM
Ok, I've been trying to get my boat on the water all summer and have decided to call it quits this year, I mean my wife called it quits for me. I got my starter rebuilt last Aug and was not on the water but once and it gave out on me, so I took it back cause it was under warranty and they fixed it in June well it out again. I've been having a lot of problems with my engine starting after I have her running, so yes I crank the starter up quite a bit. Is this normal for starters. Am I cranking to long and the bushings going bad are is this starter a piece of $$$&&. If so does anyone know where to get a good one. It's for an 1987 Supra comp ts6m

Salty87
07-30-2010, 09:03 AM
yes, you can wear a starter out faster if there's something else weak in the starting circuit.

some other things to check...battery cables and connections, carb choke adjustment, battery charge, distributor components....when was the last time you tuned it up?

Longhorn21
07-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Last year I had the timing fix, new cap and points, soleniod, wires, and spark plugs. This year i rebuilt the carb and put a new fuel filter in. I think i'm just cranking the starter motor too much cause i have a hard time starting my boat. Could the electric choke be causing it to take a long time to start. i have noticed a small piece crack off of the choke housing. The place I got my stater rebuilt said they would fix it so i got lucky, but i don't want this to happen again