PDA

View Full Version : Wake Surfing: Boat straight or turning?

sbsnyder
07-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Do you generate a better surf wake with the boat going in a straight line or turning?

wotan2525
07-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Should be going in a straight line... if you have to turn to get a surfable wake you've got it weighted wrong.

Supra-in-steamboat
07-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Straight like all other water sports...
You can ride in a circle if you want to, but if you have to, your most likely improperly weighted or have the wrong boat/equipment. Depending on local laws, you may only be able to pull a rider in one direction on the lake- ie. clockwise direction law and you need to turn right all the time to surf would not work. Good luck.

jaywidhalm
07-30-2010, 09:38 PM
I thought at one point someone on here told me to turn slightly to the side the rider is on to create a little bigger/cleaner wake. This is if you didn't have ENOUGH weight though. Mikey was it you that told me that?? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

ScottnAz
07-30-2010, 11:00 PM
Yeah, you can cheat it a little bit by turning in to the wave.
I, personally, drive straight, and expect that from my 15 yr old daughter when she's pulling me. Less to think about, and it makes it easier on her.
Save the turn, if your rider gets to far back and is in jeopardy of losing the wave, make a slight turn and it'll boost the wave for them to catch-up.
I've heard of people pulling a constant turn, and I know someone that does, but, in my experience, they aren't weighted properly. Take it for what's it worth.... :)

sbsnyder
07-31-2010, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the replys fellas!

ScottnAz
07-31-2010, 01:24 AM
Hey, I didn't even notice...
Welcome aboard the Supra Forums sbsnyder!! http://gi63.photobucket.com/groups/h136/8126XYWJQE/image003.gif

87SunSportMikeyD
08-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Yep slight turn is generally a cheater method of getting a lil bit more out of a small wave. Some people do it out of habit or misconception but it's not nessecary assuming you are running about 1200lbs and up (at least in my exp!). It's not a big deal either way really, to each his own... But if you drive straight, you should also be able to surf in a straight line with the nose pointed straight at the back of the boat and no turning needed.

Imagine an ocean break. You surf at a 45 degree angle to the wave. Our wave is ALWAYS travelling at 45degree angle away from our boat. Therefore your line is straight at the back of the boat if travelling straight.