PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION Boatmate Trailer Owners

dndsam
08-16-2004, 09:29 PM
Attention all Boatmate Trailer owners..... I have a 1999 Supra Legacy that sits on a single axle Boatmate Trailer. Last weekend, I had what could have been a serious issue with my trailer. This trailer is equipt with 1 leaf spring on each side of the trailer called a monleaf spring. One of the springs broke and my axle rolled up under the fenderwell and step plate, bending the the crap out it and ruinning what was going to be my trip to the river. Fortunatly, I was leaving my house when when it happened so the damage was limited and I was able to bandaid the situation to get the boat back into the garage. If this would have happened going down the road, it would have been very serious for me, the people around the trailer as well as the boat. This trailer and boat have been pampered and has never seen salt water so "abuse" is not a reason for failure.

I called Boatmate and explained what happened. They were VERY receptive and understood what had happened. They claimed that they went away from the monoleaf and are using a better performing 7 leaf spring now. They said I will really notice the difference on how it trailers down the road. They made the whole situatuion right and I commend them on how well they responded.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND REPLACING THESE MONOLEAF SPRINGS IMMEDIATELY for those of you who have them on your trailer. It could, at the very least, save you the heart ache and looks of a screwed up trailer with a nice boat on it. It might even spare you from a bad trip to the lake or even your life or someone elses. I never really paid attention to the leaf springs until last weekend. Needless to say, I have two new 7 leaf springs bolted on under my trailer now.

bpskis
08-18-2004, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the warning, I have a 99n legacy with the same trailer. I do have two questions for you. Did you do the replacement yourself, and was it hard? Also, did Boatmate give you free replacement of the defective springs, if not, how much were they? Thanks, this is the first year I've been trailering a lot with the boat so I don't want any problems.

dndsam
08-18-2004, 10:08 PM
Yes, I did the replacement myself. It was not hard but it did take some time. Make sure you have the trailer hitched up to the vehicle for added safety. You have to be able to jack the trailer up high enough to take the load off of the springs. I used a 4 ton bottle jack and 4X4s along with jack stands. If you have someone available to help, use it, if for anything else for added safety factor. There is alot of weight on that trailer. Give Boatmate a call and see what they will do for you. Let them know you are concerned about the reliability of the monoleaf springs on your trailer and do they recommend changing it out. See what they say and let us know here.

Ed Obermeier
09-10-2004, 06:51 PM
I had that same problem with the Boatmate trailer under my 2000 Legacy the third month I owned the boat, which I bought new in 2000. The dealer immediately contacted Supra and the monoleaf springs were replaced with the 7 leaf variety by the dealer at no cost to me UNDER WARRANTY. I later got a recall notice from Boatmate stating the problem and offering to replace the springs under warranty.

If you bought the boat and trailer new and replaced the springs yourself, either Supra or Boatmate one owes you a refund.

bpskis
09-18-2004, 08:28 PM
after contacting boatmate i think i can clear up this topic. yes, at one time there was a recall, and the springs were being replaced free of charge, including labor. However, the department of transportation did more testing on it and decided it was safe for the roads, so the recall was cancelled. Boatmate is one of a few manufacturers that are still willing to send free replacements if you contact them, but they will not pay for the labor. I am planning on replacing mine to avoid problems. as a sidenote, boatmate says it is on the 2000 trailers. however, my 99 legacy has the monoleaf setup, and my 2000 has teh seven leaf spring setup, so im not sure how the years of the trailers work. If you check your trailer, youll have no question whether you have the monoleaf or not!

bpskis
09-18-2004, 08:29 PM
after contacting boatmate i think i can clear up this topic. yes, at one time there was a recall, and the springs were being replaced free of charge, including labor. However, the department of transportation did more testing on it and decided it was safe for the roads, so the recall was cancelled. Boatmate is one of a few manufacturers that are still willing to send free replacements if you contact them, but they will not pay for the labor. I am planning on replacing mine to avoid problems. as a sidenote, boatmate says it is on the 2000 trailers. however, my 99 legacy has the monoleaf setup, and my 2000 has teh seven leaf spring setup, so im not sure how the years of the trailers work. If you check your trailer, youll have no question whether you have the monoleaf or not!