PDA

View Full Version : 89 supra TS6M temp

Adam10705
08-02-2010, 12:42 AM
hi I have a 89 supra TS6M with a ford 351 and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what temp the motor should be running at, its running at about 170 but I was just out boating in a friends boat that has a chevy 350 and it is running at 130 so it got me wondering if mines running to hot any help would be great, thanks Adam.

rludtke
08-02-2010, 01:14 AM
That sounds a little warm to me. I just replaced the thermostat in my 351 PCM with a new 150 degree unit (i don't know what was in it previously), and it now runs right at 150 degrees on the gauge. It used to run about 160 degrees. This is the thermostat recommended by SkiDim.

Thermostats are cheap, If yours is not recent, than I think you should consider replacing it. How old is your raw water impellor? Has it ever been run without water? I recommend replacing the impellor every season. They are also cheap, and a lot of fun depends on the impellor working. Warm engine temps might indicate a worn impellor. Are your exhaust manifolds to hot to touch when running? If so, then definitely replace your impellor.

brack
08-02-2010, 08:04 AM
Cheap thermastat??????? I ordered one on Thursday , cost more than my RW impeller.......65 thru skidim , but better than the ..95 local price........still a small price to get back on the water ....

Supra-in-steamboat
08-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Brack- not sure which part number you ordered...but if your boats @1997 or newer, your right. They are @$60.
Adam- the temp seems fine. I agree with Rludtke about the impeller change. Quick,easy, and relatively cheap- think @$30. As far as the t-stat, two bolts and your installing your new t-stat and gasket. Your boat will stay at a steady 155 degrees with a 143degree t-stat. If you order the 160degree t-stat, expect your temp to sit steady at @175-180.
You can search the archives for "what temp does your boat run" and you'll get some opinions about operating temps for your boat. Personally i like it lower for piece of mind. Last year i pulled the t-stat out and ran without it... Too cold. Boat lost HP and was sluggish. I would get the 143degree for your 89- unless for some reason it is fuel injected, then go with the 160. Good luck.

gtbrault
08-02-2010, 11:25 PM
My 89 runs at 170 degrees all day long.

fastab
08-02-2010, 11:32 PM
On the 90 comp that I used to run it would run @ 140 deg, with new impeller etc. before I changed a thermostat I would check the condition of the impeller and if it hasn't been changed in a while I would replace it first. The other thing to look at is if it has a water filter/strainer in it if the oring is missing it can suck air and cause the unit to run warm. Also if you are in a cold climate and the boat has been winterized every year the water lines can cause air leaks if they aren't tight.

beast 496
08-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Proper running temp should be 160 to 170 Thermostat should be 160* Low temps are not good on the engine, to a point. Low temps allow moisture to remain and not steam off, thus allowing moisture to remain in the oil and lubrication system. In current EFI systems the ECM reads engine temps, if the coolant stays low the ECM will adjust and allow a rich running condition. Running rich is not good either, as it allows more carbon to enter the oil and wear the cylinder walls and piston rings. I run my 496 HO at 185* the ECM sees an overheat situation at 210* which retards timing and limits throttle rpm to 1,200. Good luck Al

Adam10705
08-05-2010, 12:03 AM
thanks for all the help, im just going to go ahead and replace the impeller (i believe its 2 seasons old) and and new stat for for piece of mind, i didnt think 170 was dangerous but a couple cheap and easy changes is well worth piece of mind.

ariggle
08-12-2010, 09:59 PM
my 86 runs 160-162 normally. never replaced thermastat or impeller, but it only has 313 hours on it also!!