PDA

View Full Version : Steering Cable Lubrication

blackout00
08-02-2010, 12:00 PM
I was wondering if anyone could provide a step by step to steering cable lubrication. Mine does not feel that bad, but seems to be a little tight when turning to the right. I have a 92 Comp. Also, what grease is recommended for this process? Thank you!

22vdrive
08-02-2010, 12:36 PM
I just got done changing my steering system in my 04 ssv. What kind of steering system is it? If it is a back rack mount look at the black box attached to the steering wheel. There is a black rubber piece on one end and the cable on the other. Pull out the rubber piece and there is a grease zerk inside. Grease it there. Is your boat steered by a rudder? If so grease your rudder there is a zerk there too. Remove your cable from the rudder and remove the nut from the the tube that is on the mount pull it out from there and slip some grease on the rod and your cable will be lubed up. I'm not sure what kind of grease your supposed to use, check out teleflex's website and if you don't find out there give them a call.

saltare inverts
08-02-2010, 07:52 PM
You need marine grade grease..Its carried at many farm and home stores. It similar to a tube of grease for a grease gun, in fact same. Just get marine grade. 22vdrive my steering is very stiff. My rudder seems to be straight. I m wondering if my needs changed. Why did you nyours?

fastab
08-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Steering cables in boats when they start to get tight generally need to be replaced, you can't typically grease the inner cable itself, so you can only check and grease the things like the rutter box. If you disconnect the steering from the rudder does it still feel tight and does the rudder feel loose.
If it does you will probably have to live with the steering if it is only a little tight or replace the cable.

blackout00
08-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the help. My steering by no means is crazy tight. I just want to be sure I am doing the proper maintenance. It is one of those things I think you analyze the more you are on the boat too...Which I have fortunately been on the ole girl a lot!!! Thanks!

22vdrive
08-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Ya just replace your cable. I got mine from Rinkers in Houston which was a 20ft cable for 160 bucks. Pretty east to install. I recommend you have someone to help you out. I would say the trickiest part for me was attaching it back to the mount underneath the motor. It was a really tight space and it made it difficult to center the wire and rudder so that each side would turn identical. Do you have a vdrive or dd?

blackout00
08-04-2010, 09:12 AM
I have a dd. The boat was just restored last year, so I am thinking it may just need lubricated, if replacement is needed I will do so at the end of the season. Thanks again for the help!