PDA

View Full Version : Where is best place to mount amps for stereo?

DrewT
08-17-2004, 05:02 PM
I purchased a 2001 Supra Launch SS that has a stereo with 2 amps that are in front of my feet on the drivers side. The only problem is that when it rains on the boat without the cover, water goes through the vent and it gets damp in the compartment. I also have 2 10 inch subs enclosed in a box at my feet. Where is the best place to put the amps and the subs?

Salty87
08-18-2004, 06:49 PM
rain and audio equip don't really mix well. why's your boat getting rained on so much? i've lost a cd player to a rain shower, that was my fault.

i have my amps and sub where your's are and that's the dryest spot on my boat. my sub is raised off the floor a little more than an inch to keep the floor and box dry.

DrewT
08-19-2004, 08:12 AM
We have had some pretty rough rains here in S.C. over the last 3 weeks. Do I need to block off the vents so it will not be so damp after a shower?

Salty87
08-19-2004, 02:18 PM
the front vents on my boat are connected to the air intake hoses for the engine. granted my boat is much older but i doubt this changed over the years. my boat also has a wall from the inner hull blocking any water from getting near the amps.

do you cover your boat? if not, that's where i would start.

if you do, then a wall of some sort should work but i can't see any water getting in there with the cover on.

02LaunchSSV
09-03-2004, 08:39 AM
I also have my amps and speakers located at my feet and subs are off the floor as suggested. Haven't had any problems with mine in 2 years but now that I post this, this weekend is sure to have a new kink for me. DrewT, where in S.C. are you. I'm on Lake Murray in Columbia.

02LaunchSSV
09-03-2004, 08:39 AM
I also have my amps and speakers located at my feet and subs are off the floor as suggested. Haven't had any problems with mine in 2 years but now that I post this, this weekend is sure to have a new kink for me. DrewT, where in S.C. are you. I'm on Lake Murray in Columbia.

DrewT
09-03-2004, 08:44 AM
I am on Lake Murray, in Chapin. How about you?
What I have found is the air hose had come loose and there was just a hole under the vent to let water in. Also, when the boat was on the trailer, rain water would run up under where I have the speaker and amps. The amps were not getting wet but the bottom of the speaker was. I just need to get it off the ground.

02LaunchSSV
09-06-2004, 12:14 PM
Yea, just place a pad or old boat throw cushion under them and they'll stay dry. As far as Lake Murray goes, We hang out in Bear Creek in Chapin. Several of us hang out, ride, socialize, etc......You can find myself either on a Blue/White/Yellow Supra or on a Yellow/White/Gray Air Nautique. Come on over and hook up with us. You do any wakesurfing? We throw that in when it gets rough due to the tubers and jet skiers wrecking everything.

DrewT
09-07-2004, 09:27 AM
We have a house on Dutchman Shores. We usually ski in Stinky Creek and Bear Creek, but have been putting in at Lite House Marina while the water has been down. We have a red Launch SS and a white/teal Stingray. I will look for you.

02LaunchSSV
09-13-2004, 08:12 PM
Sorry to take so long to reply but have been in Florida helping In-laws relocate salvaged personal property from Hurricane Charley. Thought Ivan was coming ashore today at 8am and homeowners were given evacuations notices in Charlotte County ( Port Charlotte). So spent most of the weekend (Thursday-Sunday) moving them and was unable to reply. In any case, look forward to meeting you in Bear Creek. We usually launch at boat ramp in Night Harbor Subdivision and will keep an eye out for you. The red Launch, was it recently at Marc's place getting some work. Saw one there several weeks back with a black tower.

DrewT
09-14-2004, 04:25 PM
Marc was working on my boat about 4 weeks ago. He seems to know his stuff. First time I used him.
Where would be the best place to put in near Dutchman Shores? I am sure Eptings Landing is still too shallow.

02LaunchSSV
09-15-2004, 07:46 PM
Actually, old man Epting died but family just re-opened the landing. You can actually go through a gate off to the left of the original launch ramp to the island and put in off the point. It doesn't necessarily have a concrete boat ramp but rather one of typical lake rock. I have, along with others, used it most of the summer until we were able to use Night Harbors again. It's very stable and solid and not once have I spun a wheel pulling the boat out. Once you go out of Eptings, we usually tie up and/or ride with others just outside that cove and across towards the Bear Creek Bridge. If Ivan will decide what to do on speed, we'll be out there this weekend. So far, forecast is scattered showers on Saturday.