PDA

View Full Version : H20 in my fuel..

mapleleaf
08-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Ok I got a bad one here....Someone (me) forgot to put the gas cap back on after a fill up at the dock and we were weighted for surfing... After about an hour of riding we broke down and realized the problem. Got a tow back to the dock and I removed the gas tank, drained it reinstalled it and replaced the fuel filter and drain its canister. Took a little turning over but she cam back to life and we went back out. The problem I'm having now is that the boat dies unexpectedly at all different speed's( starts right up after dying), I didn't have any Seafoam or Heet type additive to help remove residual water I plan on adding those this week, anything else I can do to help this prob.? I know it's my fault, just a little bummed as this summer is the best I've had it running since I bought it.......And the most I've got to use it!!!!!!

ScottnAz
08-04-2010, 12:08 AM
Fun!!
Sounds like you got a good jump on solving the water/fuel problem. While I am yet to experience this problem (which I'm sure it's just a matter of time), I'd add twice the recommended amount of fuel stabilizer (marine) and plan on changing the fuel filter again after a few hours.
Hang tight, you'll have it solved in no time

brack
08-04-2010, 12:41 AM
Maybe you could try to use a lil " Wiesse style beers from Toronto " to help in removing the last bit of water..... no wait , maybe thats the other way around ..... Seriously though , hopefully you got all of it out of your tank . You might want to remoce one of your bottom bolts off of your carb. bowls s....water will settle in them since its heavier than the gas , and drive a person crazy...

good luck with it.....hopefully no more probs since you drained it

saltare inverts
08-04-2010, 01:06 AM
Ohh boy maple, were to begin the teasing. Were you that excited to get back out or just too many beers. Get it running good and then you do this. I guess doesnt feel right unless your working on her. Honestly I hope it is fixed quickly.

OLDSCHOOL85
08-04-2010, 08:54 AM
I agree with brack. drain the bowls on your carb. since water is heavier than fuel itll settle at the bottom of the bowls. Itll start fine, then once you shake up your bowls, here comes the water and there goes your running boat. For good measure, while you have it running, I would cover the top of your carb with your hand and choke it out. Let go right before it dies. This will force any water that could be clogging up jets to pass. Also on your next fill up, I would run a bottle of isoheet through your tank. Goodluck.

fastab
08-04-2010, 02:49 PM
I know on the 90 comp the tank is in the back under the rear locker and there is an access for the fuel sender, you could remove the sender and siphon the gas/water from the tank, the water will be on the bottom so if you get a hose that reaches all the way to the bottom you would be able to get the water first. You could also get some gas line antifreeze readily available from any auto shop that contains Isopropyl Alcohol this will mix with the water and help it run thru the carb. Most gasline antifreeze for fuel injection is made with Isopropyl, you donot want methyl Hydrate.

Also if you keep draining you filter it you can catch the water before it reaches the carb.

BigCity444
08-04-2010, 03:06 PM
This is the reason that I don't surf. Weighing down these boats that have a air intake for the gas tank that close to the water is a bad situation waiting to happen.
Sorry Mapleleaf. Drain the tank then refill with new gas and add some Heat.

mapleleaf
08-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Ohh boy maple, were to begin the teasing. Were you that excited to get back out or just too many beers. Get it running good and then you do this. I guess doesnt feel right unless your working on her. Honestly I hope it is fixed quickly.

It was too early for the beers, and yes we'd already found a surfable wave....there was a little too much excitement in the air, I think the carb prolly has a little water still in the bowls, its start'in up fine, just dies intermitantly and then fires right back up, and I KNOW I got every last drop outta the tank!!

rludtke
08-04-2010, 11:27 PM
Weell, hurry up and git her back in the water so you can take some surfin' pics!