PDA

View Full Version : Fuel issues solved....Hopefully

brack
08-04-2010, 10:44 PM
After getting tired of driving her for 10 minutes , then dying , wait 5 -6 minutes and start her up and repeating the process over and over..... Through help from everyone on here and some trial and errors , i think i solved it . I believe she was vapor locking ( lot of peoples issues so it seems ) fuel was bubbling in filter and risers were really hot to the touch . Went through several things . checked filter , fuel pump , raw water pump , strainer , etc........Finally thought for a minute about what someone said on here about running boat on a hose , about the water being under pressure thru the motor ( she would run all die in the driveway ) . Then i remembered someone saying to run in in your driveway using a bucket to suck water from, naturally instead of being forced thru it . FLOW was very minimal . Checked pump again OK.... Checked THERMASTAT ( bad ) !!!! it was old and stuck barely open . Put the new one in tonite , ran her off a bucket and temp was OK....( i could keep my hands on the risers and thermastat housing ) MY gauge was reading 160-170 but when i checked the engine with a heat spy it was 140-150 @ thermastat housing and 120 0n the exhaust risers......think i need to order me a new gauge

HOPEFULLY this fixed my ( and maybe some other boats )fuel issues , find out sunday....
Thanks for everyones help

rludtke
08-04-2010, 11:17 PM
Hi Brack,

I'm glad your making headway. I also think you should replace the impellor while your at it, unless you know it has been done recently. They are less than $30, and they do have a limited life. Limiting its life to one season is very wise in my opinion, because otherwise, the performance will drop off suddenly, and possibly leave you in a lurch. My hot exhaust/vapor lock problem came up between uses: one day it was ok, the next it wasn't. The new impellor removed the vapor lock problem, and notably improved the cooling capability of the system. Also, running the engine on the hose above idle RPM will likely shorten the life of your impellor, as it relies on the water for lubrication.

Cheers,

brack
08-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Thanks Rick ,

Impeller is new , just 2 months old . cant wait to see if she is fixed

brack
08-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Finally got back to working on her ( vacation and work.....whats a guy to do ) ....checked several things , then i tried something simple...disconnected the tank from the fuel pump , hooked up an AUX 6 gallon tank and took her down to the ramp tonight.......SHE RAN like a champ.....that 6 gallons of fuel didnt last very long though, BUT she ran longer than 5 minutes at a time before stalling... time to pull tank and drain to see whats inside of her . ALSO going to fix xpeedo problems ( neither work ) and see about tightening up the swin deck brackets . BOY O BOY , it felt good tonite!!