PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass water stains

mbrts6comp
08-05-2010, 06:24 AM
Help!

I am restoring an 88 ts6m and can't get rid of the yellow water stains on the white hull. I have wet sanded and wheeled it with course compound and nothing is removing it. Is there a product that will remove it? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

saltare inverts
08-05-2010, 08:51 AM
I had same problem on a boat I had. I used tilex and a little elbow grease. It did come off and to prevent return I use 303. That stuff works great. I use it on vinyl rubber leather fiberglass. It was recommened by Salty on this site (thanks Salty).

OUI
08-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Try Zing or Slimy Grimy. I've seen videos of Slimy Grimy and it looks pretty good. Never used it. Zing is unbelievable -- toxic, but it works.

beast 496
08-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Muratic acid, This is the chemical which most every marina uses to clean boat bottoms. It is also the chemical which pool company's shock pools with. Al

mbrts6comp
08-06-2010, 07:21 AM
I had same problem on a boat I had. I used tilex and a little elbow grease. It did come off and to prevent return I use 303. That stuff works great. I use it on vinyl rubber leather fiberglass. It was recommened by Salty on this site (thanks Salty).
Thanks for the info, I will give it a try.

saltare inverts
08-06-2010, 11:34 PM
I have used muratic acid to clean pool many times, very caustic. Does it damage the gel coat in any way? It eats right through your clothes even when diluted, seems harsh for my pretty paint.

beast 496
08-08-2010, 11:49 PM
Muratic acid will melt vinyl but not gel coat. Gel coat is a plastic coating, not paint. It will not do any harmfull effects to the gel coat. Al

Supra-in-steamboat
08-09-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm with Beast- i detailed boats for many years, muratic is used often. Get a respirator, it can gag you pretty bad. It can be diluted with a bit a water, but usually is used straight. Have you tried Hull Cleaner from Starbright? It is also pretty effective. Whatever you use, make sure you wax afterwards. This will prolong the "clean" on the hull. The stain may come back and require second, third applications. Good luck.