PDA

View Full Version : Really Bummin' :(

csuggs
08-05-2010, 09:02 PM
OK so I noticed a leak under my truck (1993 GMC, yeah I know it's old) and checked it out tonight when I got home from work. Coolant is coming out of the weep hole on the water pump - no real big deal - I'll just change out the pump and go on with life. Well then I decided since I was under the truck with a flashlight anyway, I'd check to see if anything else seemed to be out of order. When I got to the back, I noticed that all of the axle bolts (the u-bolts that hold the axles and springs together are severely rusted at the base and one is completely rusted in two! So now I'll have to replace u-bolts. :mad:

Last year, before the rebuild and before we modified my trailer, the boat sat much higher on the trailer. Therefore, I had to back the trailer into the water at the ramp so far that the rear axle of my truck would go under water. I'm guessing that the axle mounting brackets that are welded to the axle and that the u-bolts go through, held water after launching the boat because that's exactly where the bolts rusted through.

I would like to be able to trade the truck, but I'm going to have to fix it for now. So I guess my weekend will be spent under the truck and hood. :( By the way, this is my ONLY tow vehicle so until it's fixed, no more boating.

mapleleaf
08-05-2010, 09:19 PM
ah Clint...Sorry to hear....Capable guy like you should call in sick tomorrow nurse your water pump through the weekend and fix his ubolts tomorrow....Those kids need to ride!!!!!!

csuggs
08-05-2010, 10:29 PM
ah Clint...Sorry to hear....Capable guy like you should call in sick tomorrow nurse your water pump through the weekend and fix his ubolts tomorrow....Those kids need to ride!!!!!!

I likes the way you think! Can't let my new ride just sit in the garage when there's good water nearby, now can I . . . .

saltare inverts
08-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Surely a friend has gone boating with you that has a tow vehicle, borrow it you deserve it.

rludtke
08-05-2010, 10:45 PM
It could be worse I guess... it could be your boat.

sybrmike
08-05-2010, 11:51 PM
I've got a running truck, but boat's still in pieces. Let's see, if I leave now I could probably make WV by Saturday...

87SunSportMikeyD
08-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Boat has not been out this year at all except for a mechanical test drive. :( Getting closer though.

Okie Boarder
08-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Bummer...but I'm sure you'll have her all fixed up this weekend. Be glad you found the problem and didn't have an incident along the side of the road.

csuggs
08-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Bummer...but I'm sure you'll have her all fixed up this weekend. Be glad you found the problem and didn't have an incident along the side of the road.

yeah! Things could be worse!

wotan2525
08-06-2010, 11:35 AM
I've recently been shopping for a beater tow vehicle.... My roommate moved out (he had the truck) and even though he's only 2 blocks away, it's turned into a bit of a hassle sometimes to swap vehicles. Right now I can't stop thinking about how cool it's going to be to pick up a 1987 Chevy Diesel Dually for $2k. I'll have the pimpest 1987 rig around!

mapleleaf
08-07-2010, 04:53 PM
I've recently been shopping for a beater tow vehicle.... My roommate moved out (he had the truck) and even though he's only 2 blocks away, it's turned into a bit of a hassle sometimes to swap vehicles. Right now I can't stop thinking about how cool it's going to be to pick up a 1987 Chevy Diesel Dually for $2k. I'll have the pimpest 1987 rig around!

Get down wit cho badself, heck ya.......this is a tempting idea i've been toying with to facilitate getting my wife into something new.....