PDA

View Full Version : Rudder removal on a 98 Sunsport

tad2lo
08-07-2010, 04:27 PM
What the f@ck is going on? my 86 comp, rudder would come right out, this boat... I've been fighting with it for a week. Loosened the nut off the threaded stud but it WILL NOT come out to allow removal of that arm... my lower O-ring i leaking and want to replace it. This a minor problem that's keeping me on the shore and pissing me off to no end... Am I missing something?

rludtke
08-07-2010, 04:44 PM
What the f@ck is going on? my 86 comp, rudder would come right out, this boat... I've been fighting with it for a week. Loosened the nut off the threaded stud but it WILL NOT come out to allow removal of that arm... my lower O-ring i leaking and want to replace it. This a minor problem that's keeping me on the shore and pissing me off to no end... Am I missing something?

The rudder in my 1987 Comp doesn't have o rings, rather it has a stuffing box of sorts. To remove it, the arm needs to come off the shaft, and the stuffing gland nut removed (or at least loosend). Then it just falls out of the boat. the arm + gland nut friction are the only thing that holds it in. During use, the rudder assembly sits low in the stuffing box, with the arm riding on the top of the gland nut.

No matter what Tad2Lo, i think you need to remove the steering arm to remove the rudder.

I've actually wondered if my rudder shaft configuration is correct, and I suspect it may leak a little. Can anybody else shed any light on this subject?

mapleleaf
08-07-2010, 04:49 PM
I can't be too much help here, but |I believe I have a bent rudder and will need to be replacing it, am very interested in following this thread. Goodluck tad2lo you need to be back on the water......

tad2lo
08-07-2010, 04:58 PM
This boat definitely doesn't have a stuffing box. I have the top plate of the rudder mount with the rudder sticking through it, then nothing but the arm that attaches to the steering cable with a tapered stud which is threaded on one end for the nut. That's it. My old 86 had the 2 O-ring setup as well, whether it was made that way or replaced that way, i don't know. I DO know it was a hell of a lot easier to take out @ 24 years old vs this boat of 12 years... I've gotten that stud out about 3/4 of an inch out toward the tapered side and that's where it sits. IT WILL NOT MOVE ANY FURTHER. You guys have no idea how annoyed I am. Planned on having this done, sitting at the sand bar, with a bud lime in my hand right now... All this over a 2- few dollar O-rings... GRRRRRR

rludtke
08-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Can you take a picture?

rludtke
08-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Is the tapered stud threaded on the small end for the nut? I take it you've removed the nut, and are trying to drive the tapered pin out right?

The pin probably runs through a slot in the rudder shaft. If the shaft has tried to turn relative to the arm, it may be binding the pin in place. You could try to see if you can relive the bind by holding the rudder and moving the arm one way or the other.

A little heat applied to the arm might help increase the size of its hole. You could then use a pin drift and hammer to try and tap the stud out.

tad2lo
08-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Yes it's threaded on the small end. The unthreaded end pulls tight into the arm when the nut is threaded tight. Could have possible turned the arm just enough to have bound it up, will check that. Have to take a drive to get a pic and check it out though. My buddy's 60*40 shop makes a much nicer boat repair facility than my 2 car garage lol. Keep ya posted...

tad2lo
08-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Well after a little toying around after our last posts, I finally got it. I put the nut back on and began to tighten it as if replacing the arm on the rudder. It must have lined it up just right because it damn near fell off in my hands. I attached a pic so you guys can see what you're up against when the time comes. Knowing now what it looks like I feel like a moron for fighting with it so much... and my dealer was no damn help at all. "Just beat it out"... yeah right