PDA

View Full Version : 1994 or newer/stringers

winger98
08-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Hi all,

Time to get a boat for the family and stumbled across this board a few weeks ago. Great information! Been following the sunsport rebuilds progress on the other thread and wonder about the mid to late 90's models. I saw that in 94 Supra came out with a all fiberglass construction for some models. Based on an older boat the major concern aside from engine is the stringer condition and flooring. If it is a newer model, do you have to worry about stringers redo or did the all fiberglass construction make the stringers a non maintenance issue in the mid to late 90's design?

If they made a better way to keep the stringers long lasting does it make sense to spend a little more on a newer model or just find a late 80's model knowing you'll have to drop $3-5000 on a new stringer/floor job? In other words, do you get a starter boat for 5 grand or spend a little more if it means a reduced risk of major over hauling?

Thanks for any insight!

Ptownkid
08-08-2010, 10:50 AM
The fiberglass models started in 1992, rounded windshield = fiberglass stringers. They should not ever need replacing. The question of spending more come down to the cost of the boat versus the cost of the repair. If you find an older one for 2-3k and need to sink 3-5k, you're looking at less than 8k for the boat...instead of 12k. If you can find one that is all fiberglass and won't cost you way more, then you're set. If it were me, and i came across an older one that would cost me between 5k and 7k (including repair) I wouldn't hesitate to do it.

It comes down to money and your willingness to do work/have work done.

edgewater1
08-08-2010, 12:16 PM
i'm lucky i found a 91' with non-wood construction, no rounded windshield either, but i agree with ptownkid

rludtke
08-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Yep, how do you wish to spend your money. It may be possible to purchase an older boat, get a couple of seasons of use (maybe more, maybe less), then contract the stringer rework, and still spend less than you would for a newer boat.

Of course this is ignoring other big expenditure items like the engine and transmission, but potentially those expenses could also be delayed for another year, spreading out the costs over time.

winger98
08-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the information