PDA

View Full Version : Water Leaking in engine compartment

upperblack
08-08-2010, 11:02 PM
I just purchased a 2002 ssv. I'm not much of a mechanic but noticed water leaking toward the back of the boat inside the engine compartment. It's hard to describe but the water was leaking on a piece that was connected to one of the wheels that a belt is attached to. The piece that was leaking also had a tube that was running to it. It's leaking wheather or not the boat was running. Any help would be greatly apprieciated.

docdrs
08-09-2010, 08:25 PM
a pic would be helpful........

JAKE HIGDON
08-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Sounds Like An Impeller Leaking Maybe? Is It On The Very Bottom Pulley On The Front Of The Engine?

tre
08-09-2010, 10:05 PM
2 possibilities:

1) Impeller for the rew water intake has a bad gasket or loose screws. The raw water pump is located on the front of the engine (the front of the engine faces the back of the boat) but there is not a belt connected to it. There are two hoses connected to it and it is near the pullys on the front of the engine.

2) The "dripless" shaft seal. There is a little hose that connects to the area where the prop shaft from the V-Drive unit goes through the bottom of the boat under the engine. My old Supra had a packing glad. My new boat has a "dripless" shaft seal. I don't know if it is correct or not but mine seems to leak decent amount.

tre
08-09-2010, 10:07 PM
sorry - double post

djensen
08-09-2010, 10:13 PM
have a 09 22SSV taht had a problem with the stuffing box. Bilge pumps would kick in about every ten minutes of hard running time. Just replaced the whole unit that is supposed to be dripless but it still leaks but gladly not as bad as before. Had a good friend who also had the same problem with his Supra. Never a problem with my Malibu Sunscape or my Mobius LSV.

upperblack
08-10-2010, 12:24 AM
Thanks for all of the replies!!!
I'll take a picture this weekend when I'm back up there and post.
It is on the front of the engine (back of the boat). It's a metal piece attached to the bottom pulley if that helps. Looks almost like a ball and socket attachment.