PDA

View Full Version : hard to start after stopping

wbm
08-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Everything about my 88 Sunsport is perfect except after running for any length of time and then turning it off, it's a pain to restart, any suggestions?

chrisk
08-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Are you letting it idle for a while before you turn it off? Mine will do the same thing, if I pull someone skiing or wakeboarding then shut it off right away after coming off of plane without letting it idle for a while it will start hard when I go to turn the key again. And when I say let it idle I just let it sit for like 30 seconds or something, seems to work

Memmer99
08-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Mine did the same thign then I upgraded to electronic ignition, new coil, and plugs and it starts fine now.

mapleleaf
08-09-2010, 05:47 PM
electrical connections or bad/old wires could also be the culpret.....Boat needs more juice to start when hot....

rludtke
08-09-2010, 09:30 PM
How warm is it under the engine cover when this happens? Are the exhaust manifolds too hot to touch?

wbm
08-10-2010, 08:14 AM
How warm is it under the engine cover when this happens? Are the exhaust manifolds too hot to touch?

Your reply makes sense, I can run my boat forever in the driveway, with water of course, and turn on, turn off, etc. for hours and it always starts immediately. BUT, this is always done with the engine cover up, I like to check everything as it is running. So could you explain your reply about the hot manifolds? thanks

csuggs
08-10-2010, 08:36 AM
electrical connections or bad/old wires could also be the culpret.....Boat needs more juice to start when hot....

What Leaf said is true. I had this problem a few years ago, when the motor was hot the motor would barely turn over like the battery was about dead. Cranked fine when cold. Is that what yours is doing? So I found that my battery cables were old and brittle (probably original) and I made new ones using #2 welding cable. After that, it cranks fine hot or cold.
If your engine cranks fine but doesn't fire when it's hot, then the problem is probably in the fuel system, not electrical. Good luck!

FecalFajita
08-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Take your starter in to get tested. It's actually pretty easy to remove.

I had similar issues and it turned out to be a failing starter that was drawing way too many amps when the engine was hot, but started fine when cold.

wbm
08-10-2010, 09:28 AM
The engine cranks fine, my starter is new, battery power is good, just hard to start after turning off. Everything runs perfect while running, no hesitation, no missing, no anything, that's what is confusing. Still curious about the heat under the cover during this hard to start time? I do run my fans while starting.

rludtke
08-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Your reply makes sense, I can run my boat forever in the driveway, with water of course, and turn on, turn off, etc. for hours and it always starts immediately. BUT, this is always done with the engine cover up, I like to check everything as it is running. So could you explain your reply about the hot manifolds? thanks

Hey WBM,

If the Raw water Impellor is worn, the water flow availible to cool the exhaust manifolds will be reduced. This creates hotter exhaust manifolds, and results in hotter air temps under the hood. If warm enough, fuel in the float bowls will vaporize (boil). This condition is called Vapor Lock. Vaporized fuel will not meter correctly through the carburator.

Opening your throttle to full open (do not pump) while cranking the starter will help purge the hot vaporized fuel with cool liquid fuel, allowing the engine to start. Be ready to close the throttle once started.

This condition usually only presents itself after shut down, when the fuel has a chance to warm. During engine operation, with fuel flowing, it is constantly being replaced with cool fuel.

The typical solution for hot exhaust induced vapor lock is a new raw water impellor.

Running your engine at higher RPM's on the hose could potentially damage your impellor, as the hose water supply may not be able to supply adequate water to accomidate the pumps delivery needs.

I recomend that you replace your impellor at the start of every season, and avoid running without water, or high RPM's on the hose if at all possible.

michael hunter
08-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Sounds like a hot soak problem. When was the carb gone through last or at least check the float level.