PDA

View Full Version : What Extra Parts Do you Carry On Your Boat?

SupraTamu
08-09-2010, 07:00 PM
I was just curious what extra parts you carry on your boat for those quick emergency fixes? I have been boating alot of years and the following is what I have learned to carry:

Tool Set that has most emergency tools and then some

Extra Belts for motor
Fuel Filter
Duct Tape
Pair of Panty Hose (if a hose breaks wrap the panty hose around it then wrap with duct tape it will get you home)
Oil
Transmission Fluid
Jumper Cables
Emergency Power Pack Jumper Cables
Extra Fuses
Tow Rope
JB Weld

Just trying to figure out if there is anything I should start carrying in the boat.

edgewater1
08-09-2010, 07:22 PM
A full set of sockets, SAE and Metric, starting fluid, Jumper cables, lots of rope, cell phone, paddle, carb cleaner, matches/lighter, extra battery

Memmer99
08-09-2010, 07:52 PM
I always carry an extra Impeller. I've never had to change it on the water but you never know.

tre
08-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Impeller (and gasket), first aid kit, flashlight, basic tools, tons of life vests, and a cell phone. Oh, and extra laces for my wakeboard just in case one breaks.

brack
08-09-2010, 10:49 PM
.SupraTAMU...... Not only can you use the panty hose for what you said..... you can also use it for an emergency belt . Learned that one a long time ago with my chevelle. Works good enuff to get ya home

saltare inverts
08-09-2010, 11:03 PM
I carry many items mentioned above, plus xtra wire, needle nose pliers, linesman pliers, side cutting pliers, multi screwdriver, hammer, allen wrenches, electricians tape, stubby philips and flat screwdriver, channel locks, high temp quick dry underwater epoxy, wire strippers, zip ties, flashlight and most important, toilet paper. This set up has saved me countless times and others as well. I like to be prepared.

Skylar18
08-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Goggles and a razor blade just in case you get the rope caught on the prop. Goggles help as well when having to "re-adjust" the paddle wheel.

KG's Supra24
08-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Some of yall roll DEEEEEPPPP. Got me wondering if i should take more out. I usually carry a jumper cables, flashlight, couple screwdrivers, knife, and allen wrench set. And a tsunami pump, it doubles as a tool.

If i breakdown i guess im dependent on others kindness to tow me in. I of course have a cell phone on the boat and most of the time know someone else on the water, or have the marinas phone number saved.

Mani
08-10-2010, 11:34 AM
I take out a few screw drivers, wire cutters, pliers, knife, Tsunami pump and a jumper pack. Other than that I got Lake Tow's number in my phone along with a yearly membership.

tg0824SSVGG
08-10-2010, 12:19 PM
KG -- I spend a fair amount of time at lakes where there is "no one to call" - and if you could, they probably wouldn't hear you - like at Lake Powell.

You have to have the stuff to be at least able to get the boat to somewhere the VHF radio will work (no cell service -- this is a REMOTE place in the desert).

I have a lot of hte same stuff people list, but one thing I don't generally have - but will
get before I go again is a spare belt.

Full tool kit - then some.
Spare impellor
spare bilge pump
spare oil filter
oil
tranny fluid
(need to bring v-drive oil too)

Lots of other little things, like the duct tape, tye wraps, extra fuses, electrical tape,
electrical crimp connectors, spare wire -- etc.

Todd

SupraTamu
08-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Thanks for your input I will probably be adding a few other things based on the feedback. Luckily we have Sea Tow on our lake so I did join that just in case. Typically when I have had issues it was either the belt broke or a hose split so now it is a pretty easy fix since I have the items to fix it to get me home. The previous boat i owned had twin engines so if something went wrong you were able to get home on the other engine which was nice to have that extra motor. Maybe Supra should come out with a twin engine it would make a heck of a wake. Usually not a problem getting a tow from somebody but then there are those days when you are out on the lake during cooler months when there is nobody else on the lake those are the days that worry me. Just remember to stop and help anybody who is broke down or needs a tow for if you own a boat you will need help one day it's just a matter of time.

A few years ago I gave a tow to a couple and there two kids who ran out of gas, and towed them to the marina, the whole time we were towing them we could not help but laugh for his wife was chewing him out the whole way.

jzelt
08-11-2010, 03:28 PM
SupraTamu, did you go slow on purpose then? ("the whole time we were towing them we could not help but laugh for his wife was chewing him out the whole way"?)

$20 auto tool kit that has 100+ items (wally world). While not the greatest quality, it has been used more than I thought.
5200 sealant.
Fuses.
Light bulbs for bow/stern lights.
Flashlight.
Lighter.
Zip ties.
Knife.
Channel lock and plumber wrench for tightening packing nut.

dfred
08-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Cell phone and beer. If i get stuck i call someone to get me and drink while I wait.

dshaff24
08-11-2010, 10:27 PM
zip ties -tool kit - tape - cell phone - impeller

sybrmike
08-11-2010, 10:32 PM
I've found "Gorilla Tape" works better in the wet than good ole duct tape.

Okie Boarder
08-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Cell phone and beer. If i get stuck i call someone to get me and drink while I wait.

Now, that's funny right there.

I carry a small tool kit and a few miscellaneous items. I also have jumper cables and make sure to have the number for lake patrol. Some of the items y'all listed seem like worthwhile items to add. A lot of times I just grab a plastic tote and throw a few extra tools or items in for the day.

Bobblehead Chad
08-12-2010, 09:24 PM
When u guys say impeller do you mean prop?

tg0824SSVGG
08-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Nope - the impeller is what goes into the raw water pump (pulls water from the lake
to cool your engine)...

Here is a sample one (not the correct one, but the only image I could find)

https://www.skidim.com/images/sie18-3087_thumbnail.jpg

rludtke
08-13-2010, 12:38 AM
Goggles and a razor blade just in case you get the rope caught on the prop. Goggles help as well when having to "re-adjust" the paddle wheel.

I keep a pair of swim goggles and a very sharp lockback 4" knife, that I with a loop of string connected to it to secure it to my wrist. This is very helpful when you have to go under the boat to cut away the rope when it gets wrapped around the prop (I've only had to do that twice now...)

Mani
08-13-2010, 01:32 AM
I also have had to untangle my prop. My fishin' buddy decided to throw the anchor and tie of to the back of the boat with massive amounts of slack in the line. It took several dives without goggles to get it untangled. Luckly it had only wrapped itself around a few times and gotten around all three blades. Fairly easy to untangle, but I'm a smoker, so my lung capacity isn't up to par. ;)

Goggles are a must.

KG's Supra24
08-13-2010, 09:49 AM
It sounds like several of you need to be purchasing sinking handles. That way you dont have to worry about the rope getting caught in the prop.

Skylar18
08-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Hey KG,

I am intrigued.....

I thought it would be easier to get a sinking handle caught in the prop because you can't see it. With it floating I always know where it is. How does the sinking one help you?

KG's Supra24
08-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Skylar, I guess it really depends on the situation as to whether or not it keeps the rope out of the prop. If you have been sitting awhile then I don't think it would help but if you areturning around you can cross over your path because the rope is more than 2 ft under the water. From what I have seen it would be tough to turn around so sharp you run over the visible part of the rope or the part just under the surface. You can check it out if you make the texoma trip.