PDA

View Full Version : Is an older boat with really low hrs a bad deal?

logan
08-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Ive seen on here that some people say they would rather have a boat with a bunch of hours rather than one with very few that has sat a bit. What tents to go wrong with boats that sit more than their ran?

duncan

logan
08-11-2010, 07:36 AM
Well, Ive had 2 posts on this site for a couple of days with fourty something views but nobody can answer my questions. Wish you guys the best, Ill seek elsewhere.

duncan

michael hunter
08-11-2010, 07:56 AM
OK here's what I think. I would rather go for the less hours, less wear on the engine and drive train. However as with anything used the overall condition and maintenance is even more important. A boat engine should last 2000 hours so even it it has 1000 hours it is still only at 50% . Buy the one that looks like it has been taken care of it probably has.

Rusty Griswold
08-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Has the boat sat out side a lot? I went with a low hour boat once. And yes somethings I would replace right away are the impeller, all fluids, Take it out and look for leaks, and listen close for any thing unusual. I would say take out for 30 minutes. Run it like you would if you had skiers etc. Turn off and on a few time. Do a compression check etc

Supra-in-steamboat
08-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Hey Logan- agreed it can be frustrating to see the hits with no response, but eventually you get responses. If anything, most are/were aprehensive to respond because of lack of information about the boat in question. Michael is right, if it looks like it has been taken care of it most likely has.
In this situation, I personally would look at 10 boats that are similar in/around my area to get a good feel for differently kept boats. Some owners are way more anal than others and will probably talk your ear off, while others just want to dump it because of lack of use or no time to take care of it anymore. Get a feel for the process.
As for the boat... If it was properly stored mechanically, some general maintenance and your on your way. Take a peek inside the motor. Are the plugs for the engine in or out? Does it have belts? Is the water pump still on? Is the battery/batteries still connected? Does the steering wheel turn? Does the throttlte lever move? Sometimes a tag is left on the boat or trailer for winterization.
If it wasn't stored properly mechanically, the problems could be too many to get into, or nothing at all. Hard to tell until you get to looking. Good luck.

logan
08-11-2010, 03:01 PM
its a 2003 supra santera with 137 hrs. Real clean boat looks like it may have been an older couples or something like that either way they only got about 20 hrs a year on her which isnt ne thing. Hell, its barely broken in. Their taking my old brendella in on a trade and letting me keep all my audio, tower speakers, subs, deck, and 6.5's. The motor compartment looks really clean. Ive heard it run on a fake a lake for bout 20 min. No unusual sounds, smoke, temp was good, oil psi was good. It sorta concerned me when i saw some posts about boats with low hrs sitting and gaskets failing and things like that. Ill pull a plug and have a look but with that few of hrs i should be fine. Looks like my price is going to be about 19 with my trade which is only worth a couple few grand.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-11-2010, 04:06 PM
If your boat is fiberglass, you have no issues. Get the engine compression tested before you take it home and you won't have any regrets.

Rusty Griswold
08-11-2010, 09:09 PM
If your boat is fiberglass, you have no issues. Get the engine compression tested before you take it home and you won't have any regrets.

IF you like the color I would go for it.

michael hunter
08-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Sounds good make sure you post some pics of the new girl.

dshaff24
08-11-2010, 10:22 PM
20 hours per year isn't nothing! I averaged in my speedboat 35 hours per year for the last 4 years, Now on my supra im more active in water sports so the hours build up faster

20 hours for an older couple sounds good, My supra is a 86 and it just hit 370! The couple I bought it off just took it for joy rides at low rpm's, They never used the boat for what it was made for!

rludtke
08-11-2010, 11:31 PM
its a 2003 supra santera with 137 hrs. Real clean boat looks like it may have been an older couples or something like that either way they only got about 20 hrs a year on her which isnt ne thing. Hell, its barely broken in. Their taking my old brendella in on a trade and letting me keep all my audio, tower speakers, subs, deck, and 6.5's. The motor compartment looks really clean. Ive heard it run on a fake a lake for bout 20 min. No unusual sounds, smoke, temp was good, oil psi was good. It sorta concerned me when i saw some posts about boats with low hrs sitting and gaskets failing and things like that. Ill pull a plug and have a look but with that few of hrs i should be fine. Looks like my price is going to be about 19 with my trade which is only worth a couple few grand.

Sounds like you found a real sweetheart Logan.

I agree with Steamboat, your original post didn't offer enough info to want to respond, as I felt like half of anything I might write is just as likely to be wrong as right, and would end up being a waste of time. Give us a little more to work with, and I am sure plenty of folks will jump in... :)

logan
08-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Thanks fellas, Im goin in the morning to water test and hopefully bring home. All the paper work is done and waiting on our signatures and wifes approval. Wish us luck!
duncan

jet
08-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Logan..everyone is boating there you know what off so there isn't alot of chatter right now. It will pick more later as it gets colder. Go for the low hrs and rebuild it yourself, its way more fun and cool that way. Jet