PDA

View Full Version : My Custom Monster Tower Cargo Bimini

wotan2525
08-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Took me all summer but finally got this finished (well... almost... canvas guy made a slight error in his cut-outs for the front mounts.)

(ignore that the boat is filthy dirty.... been parked under some ugly trees. cleans up in 10 minutes.)

http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu79/rbosworth/CIMG0240.jpg
http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu79/rbosworth/CIMG0238.jpg
http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu79/rbosworth/CIMG0236.jpg
http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu79/rbosworth/CIMG0235.jpg

I think it makes my tower look a lot less "effin' huge." Is going to look nice when the tower speakers go back up. Pictures of it on the water (where hopefully it will be levelish with the water) as soon as I resolve my engine issue.

wotan2525
08-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Also -- I know the red is a little bright but I was sort of betting on the fact that it would fade slightly. It does live outside, afterall.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Lovin it!!! What kind of tower is that again? Looks like a Titan I but is it?

wotan2525
08-11-2010, 11:34 PM
No idea.... My best guess is that it was a home-made tower based on the Titan I. Seems a lot taller than the Titan 1.

Fman
08-12-2010, 02:18 AM
Looks real nice, great upgrade. Does it carry gear like the Z-5?

wotan2525
08-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Yes -- Those cross bars are padded and it has bungie straps to hold surfboards or a tube.

sybrmike
08-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Nice lookin' addition to the tower. Agreed, helps "lower" the look of that Titan-esque tower. Should look really sweet with the speakers back on.

Never seen a Titan that tall, but not many other folks could make those bends on the front wishbone - maybe a custom order or early prototype of the T1.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-13-2010, 10:36 AM
So do the boards go under the bimini or on top of it?

wotan2525
08-13-2010, 11:45 AM
On top -- It's the monster cargo bimini frame with custom canvas.

mapleleaf
08-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Cargo top is an awesome addition, kinda ties everything together.....BTW Pictures of scenery like that have got me wanting outta the city!!! That place looks great.....

Ptownkid
08-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Ok, so what did it cost you?

wotan2525
08-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Cargo top is an awesome addition, kinda ties everything together.....BTW Pictures of scenery like that have got me wanting outta the city!!! That place looks great.....

hahah... thanks! It's a nice wooded lot but I'm actually right in town. Sure, it's sort of a small town but it's still only 15 minutes from downtown st. paul.

The nicest part is that that garage (which needs quite a bit of exterior work) is actually double-deep. Still not big enough to hold all the toys AND cars, though!! Doh!

wotan2525
08-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Ok, so what did it cost you?

I was hoping to get it all done for less than retail on the monster-cargo... but.... couldn't find a canvas guy for what I thought was a "fair" price... ended up spending a lot more than I had hoped on the canvas. Total cost was around $50 more than retail. I made a mistake early on in the process -- I installed the frame before I had any canvas. Once I found out how expensive custom-made canvas was going to cost, I learned that the OEM for Monster would custom make me red canvas from the Monster pattern. I would have had the whole top for quite a bit less than retail but I didn't want to risk that the places I put the mounts wouldn't line up with their pattern.

wotan2525
09-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Here's another photo with some boards on there.... It's been a completely worthwhile addition so far!

http://www.clafy.com/images/4129313862.jpg

You can see we have a bit of a lean going on. ;)

sybrmike
09-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Again, the cargo bimini looks great & makes a great board quiver. Nice list to port - must look really exaggerated with the tall tower. The two "bow accessories" look nice too ;)

From the last pic, I think you're right that the tower is Titan inspired, but not Titan - besides the extra height you have, the way the front wishbone attaches to the rear hoop is different from Titan's method.

Wish I had that extra height on my TII. The inward bend and swoop of the wishbone is confounding my feeble brain. I can't figure out how to design a cargo style bimini to fit that still has decent headroom and shade coverage. Hopefully once all the pieces are actually installed, a solution will become more evident.

87SunSportMikeyD
09-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Wotan I didn't know we were quite that close to each other. We gotta ride sometime!!

wotan2525
09-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Absolutely.... Are you closer than St. Cloud now??

wotan2525
09-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Again, the cargo bimini looks great & makes a great board quiver. Nice list to port - must look really exaggerated with the tall tower. The two "bow accessories" look nice too ;)

From the last pic, I think you're right that the tower is Titan inspired, but not Titan - besides the extra height you have, the way the front wishbone attaches to the rear hoop is different from Titan's method.

Wish I had that extra height on my TII. The inward bend and swoop of the wishbone is confounding my feeble brain. I can't figure out how to design a cargo style bimini to fit that still has decent headroom and shade coverage. Hopefully once all the pieces are actually installed, a solution will become more evident.

I've got room for my tower speakers to sit below the tower but above the boards right now.... and.... still have over 6.5' of head room!! It might look a little crazy but it's hella functional!

87SunSportMikeyD
09-16-2010, 03:31 PM
I have always been on the Mississippi in Anoka. Fecal_Fejita Shawn lives in Coon Rapids and also brings his boat on the Miss.

The wifey is from StCloud and we go there often. We have friends who boat on the Miss there but it's not nice and deep like it is here (manmade depth).