PDA

View Full Version : Hot day maybe Boil fuel out the vent? The gas looks like it stained the gel coat.sug?

dshaff24
08-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Any suggestions why my boat that is parked on my trailer with 3/4 tank of fuel would just puke fuel out the gas tank vent line?and soak the blue gel coat and saturate the factory graphics to where it might have ate the adhesive?

Im bummed right now trying to figure out how to turn the blue gel coat blue again where the vent puked the fuel out

the boat was on a bumpy 160 mile road trip yesterday but it wasn't like this till it sat in my yard over a hot summer day

rludtke
08-10-2010, 09:06 PM
A hot summer day will do that. Gasoline expands quite a but when heated.

dshaff24
08-10-2010, 09:19 PM
A hot summer day will do that. Gasoline expands quite a but when heated.

Yeah Its just odd because the boats a 1986 and it never got had fuel stain the gel coat but today! You can tell a lot of fuel poured out!

I scrubed it with dawn and some other stuff with no luck! Im going to take it to work and wet sand and buff but I really don't think its going to come out.. :(

Supra-in-steamboat
08-10-2010, 10:19 PM
I noticed this issue with mine as well, more so since I upgraded the leaf springs and the boat sits a bit higher. I burp the tank and it seems to help, but short of leaving the fill cap loose (which I can't bring myself to do) I have no solution for the fuel. My black paint cleans up with some rubbing compound post fuel leak, but is not perfect and kinda frustrating. I just leave less gas in now. Good luck.

rludtke
08-10-2010, 10:23 PM
I have the same problem, and I live in the pacific northwest! (somebody stole our summer!)

oward1202
08-11-2010, 09:28 AM
I think Supra-in-Steamboat is on the right track. The black gelcoat on my 1985 Comp was in bad shape when I bought it this spring and it came out looking great after some time and sweat. I would use a polishing compound and not a rubbing compound though. The polishing compound is not quite as gritty and hopefully will not leave you with swirl marks. Also follow it up with a good wax to really make it shine and also as a protective barrier incase it happens again. You will have to periodically rewax as it does not last as long on a boat as it does a car because of the constant water and wiping it down but its better than the gas getting to the gelcoat.

Good luck!

dshaff24
08-11-2010, 10:17 PM
its slowly going away! I used all types of stuff! If its not 100 percent gone tomarrow ill wet sand or just hit it with the buffer!